Almirante Brown-class destroyer
ARA Sarandí (D-13) in 1990
|Builders:||Blohm + Voss|
|Length:||126 m (413 ft)|
|Beam:||14 m (46 ft)|
|Draught:||5.8 m (19 ft)|
|Speed:||30.5 knots (56.5 km/h)|
|Range:||4,500 mi (7,200 km)|
|Aircraft carried:||1 helicopter|
|Aviation facilities:||helicopter deck and hangar|
The Almirante Brown class is a class (MEKO 360H2 type) of warships built in Germany for the Argentine Navy. They were commissioned between 1983 and 1984, after the Falklands War. Argentina classifies them as destroyers, reflecting that they are the main warships of the Argentine fleet, but they are similar to general-purpose frigates of other nations.
The Argentine Navy struggles to meet maintenance and training requirements because of financial problems and import restrictions. The Almirante Brown class were reported to be short of spares and suffering engine problems. In addition it has been reported that the ordinance for the ships is past its expiration date.
- Displacement: 2,900 tons (empty); 3,360 tons (full load)
- Length: 413 ft (125.9 m)
- Beam: 49 ft(15 m)
- Draught: 19 ft(5.8 m)
- 2 shafts
- 2 Rolls-Royce Tyne RM-1C cruise gas turbines, 10,200 shp (7,600 kW) tot.
- 2 Rolls-Royce Olympus TM-3B boost gas turbines, 25,800 shp (19,200 kW) tot.
- Max shaft horsepower: 51,600 shp (38,500 kW) max
- Speed: 30.5 knots (56.5 km/h)
- Range: 4,500 nautical miles (8,330 km) at 18 knots (33 km/h)
- Aircraft: aft helicopter deck and hangar; 1 Alouette III or 1 AS-555-SN Fennec
- Radar: DA-08A air/surface search
- Sonar: Krupp-Atlas 80 hull
- Fire Control: WM-25 gun control, STIR SAM control
- Electronic Warfare
- Concept/Program: German-built general purpose frigates; they are the main surface asset of the Argentine navy.
- Builders: Blohm + Voss, Hamburg, Germany.
- Design: MEKO 360 modular design.
Ships in the class
- "Argentine navy short on spares and resources for training and maintenance". MercoPress. 22 November 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- Guia de los buques de la Armada Argentina 2005-2006. Ignacio Amendolara Bourdette, ISBN 987-43-9400-5, Editor n/a. (Spanish/English text)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Almirante Brown class destroyers.|