Amalie Auguste of Bavaria
|Amalie Auguste of Bavaria|
|Queen consort of Saxony|
Amalie Auguste, Princess of Bavaria and Queen of Saxony, c. 1823.
13 November 1801|
|Died||8 November 1877
|Burial||Katholische Hofkirche, Dresden|
|Spouse||John of Saxony|
|Issue||Princess Marie Auguste Friederike
Maria Elisabeth, Duchess of Genoa
Prince Friedrich August Ernst
Princess Maria Sidonia
Anna, Grand Duchess of Tuscany
Archduchess Margaretha of Austria
Sophie, Duchess in Bavaria
|Father||Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria|
|Mother||Caroline of Baden|
Amalie was the fourth child of King Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria and his second wife Karoline of Baden. She was the identical twin sister of Elizabeth Louise, later Queen of Prussia as wife of Frederick William IV of Prussia. Three other sisters married King Frederick Augustus II of Saxony, Archduke Franz Karl of Austria and Maximilian Joseph, Duke in Bavaria.
In 1851 Amalie Auguste became chairman of Women's Association of Dresden (Frauenverein zu Dresden), an organisation founded by her sister, the then queen. In 1859 she reorganized it as the Zentralausschuß obererzgebirgischen und der vogtländischen Frauenvereine and established a legal basis for it, under which the organisation continued until 1932.
Marriage and issue
Amalie Auguste married on 22 November 1822 Prince John of Saxony, who became King of Saxony between 1854 and 1873. John and Amelia had nine children:
- Marie Auguste Friederike (1827–1857)
- Albert (1828–1902). Married Princess Carola, daughter of Crown Prince Gustav of Sweden
- Maria Elisabeth (1830–1912). Married first Ferdinando, Prince of Savoy and Sardinia, and second Niccolò, Marchese Rapallo.
- Friedrich August Ernst (1831–1847)
- George (1832–1904). Married Infanta Maria Anna of Portugal
- Maria Sidonia (1834–1862)
- Anna (1836–1859). Married Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- Margaretha (1840–1858). Married her cousin Archduke Carl Ludwig of Austria.
- Sophie (1845–1867). Married her cousin Karl-Theodor, Duke in Bavaria (brother of Empress Elisabeth of Austria).
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 13 November 1801 – 26 December 1805: Her Serene Highness Princess Amalie Auguste of Bavaria
- 26 December 1805 – 22 November 1822: Her Royal Highness Princess Amalie Auguste of Bavaria
- 22 November 1822 – 6 June 1836: Her Royal Highness Princess Amalie Auguste of Saxony, Duchess of Saxony, Princess of Bavaria
- 6 June 1836 – 9 August 1854: Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Saxony, Duchess of Saxony, Princess of Bavaria
- 9 August 1854 – 29 October 1873: Her Majesty The Queen of Saxony
- 29 October 1873 – 8 November 1877: Her Majesty The Dowager Queen of Saxony
- Petermann, Karl: Der König Johann und die Königin Amalie von Sachsen, sowie die Feier ihres goldenen Ehejubiläums; in: Erzählungen. O.Author, o.J.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amalie Auguste von Bayern.|
Amalie Auguste of Bavaria
Cadet branch of the House of WittelsbachBorn: 13 November 1801 Died: 8 November 1877
Maria Anna of Bavaria
|Queen consort of Saxony
9 August 1854 – 29 October 1873
Carola of Vasa