American Name Society
The American Name Society, founded in 1951, is a learned society founded "to promote onomastics, the study of names and naming practices, both in the United States and abroad. It is a non-profit organization that seeks to find out what really is in a name, and to investigate cultural insights, settlement history, and linguistic characteristics revealed in names."
Its publications include Names: A Journal of Onomastics.
Notable members include founding member George R. Stewart as well as A. Ross Eckler, Jr., Fritz L. Kramer, and Hubert Blaine Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff, Sr.
The American Name Society was founded in 1951.
The society has both individual and institutional members. Membership peaked in the 1970s with 560 individual members and 463 institutional members. In 2015, the society had approximately 150 individual members and 160 institutional members. Individual members include linguists, psychologists, lexicographers, geographers, etymologists, genealogists, professors, university students, professionals, and independent scholars. Members can join through AmericanNameSociety.org and membership includes a subscription to the journal.
The journal of the American Name Society is Names: A Journal of Onomastics, which is published quarterly by Taylor & Francis.
The American Name Society meets annually in January in conjunction with the Linguistics Society of America.
Name of the Year
Since 2004, the American Name Society has designated one or more names as the Name of the Year. Starting in 2008, the American Name Society introduced for name categories (Fictional, Personal, Place, Trade) and has since designated a winner in each category as well as the overall Name of the Year.
- "AmericanNameSociety.org".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Eckler, Albert Ross, Jr. (1986). Names and Games: Onomastics and Recreational Linguistics: An Anthology of 99 Articles Published in Word Ways: The Journal of Recreational Linguistics from February 1968 to August 1985. Lanham, MD: University Press of America. ISBN 978-0-8191-5350-0. <templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Kramer, Fritz L. (1960). "Names Not Brief". Names: A Journal of Onomastics. American Name Society: 87–88.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Maney Online - Maney Publishing". www.maneyonline.com. Retrieved 2016-01-08.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "American Name Society - promoting the study of names and naming". www.americannamesociety.org. Retrieved 2016-01-08.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|This article about a linguistics organization is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This name-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|