Arthur Gore, 9th Earl of Arran
Arthur Colum Michael Connolly-Gore, 9th Earl of Arran (born 14 July 1938), styled Viscount Sudley before 1983, is an English peer and an elected hereditary member of the House of Lords for the Conservative Party.
Lord Arran is the son of Arthur Gore, 8th Earl of Arran and the former Fiona Colquhoun, first daughter of Sir Iain Colquhoun of Luss, 7th Baronet. He was educated at Eton College and Balliol College, Oxford.
He served in the Grenadier Guards, gaining the rank of Second Lieutenant.
He succeeded as 9th Earl of Arran on 23 February 1983, upon the death of his father. In the Lords, Lord Arran has played an active role for the Conservatives, serving in several junior ministerial roles. In June 2013, he opposed same-sex marriage, adding, "The Roman empire fell for three reasons. There was the worship of sporting heroes, widespread corruption and the decadence and flaunting of homosexuality. I fear that in this country we aren’t too far from being decadent."
Marriage & progeny
On 28 September 1974 Arran married Eleanor van Cutsem, granddaughter of Hugh Fortescue, 5th Earl Fortescue, and heiress of the Fortescue seat of Castle Hill, in Devon. She was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2008. Lord and Lady Arran run the Fortescue family's stately home, Castle Hill House and gardens in Devon, as a venue for weddings and corporate hospitality. They also let out 50 properties on the surrounding 5,000-acre Filleigh estate in Devon. He has no son, but has two daughters:
- Lady Laura Duckworth-Chad, who in 2004 married Major James Duckworth-Chad, MVO, a former Equerry to The Queen, and has issue.
- Lady Lucy Fortescue-Gore.
Since Lord Arran has no sons by his wife, and all other lines of descent from the 4th Earl of Arran have died out, his heir presumptive is currently his very distant cousin, William Henry Gore (born 1950), who lives in Australia, descended from the youngest brother of the 4th Earl.
|Ancestors of Arthur Gore, 9th Earl of Arran|
- ‘ARRAN’, Who's Who 2010, A & C Black, 2010; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2009 ; online edn, Nov 2009 accessed 20 Dec 2009.
- Scott Roberts, Earl of Arran: Equal marriage could lead to a ‘decadent’ Britain that ‘flaunts’ homosexuality, Pink News, 4 June 2013
- "Castle Hill House and gardens".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Cooper, Rob (18 June 2012). "Couple killed as fire destroys cottage". Daily Mail. London.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Harry Anthony Arthur Herbert Fortescue Duckworth-Chad". Peerage News.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Debrett's Peerage, 2015, p.48 (son of Paul Annesley Gore (1921-2012))
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Arran
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
The Baroness Hooper
The Lord Reay
The Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
The Lord Inglewood
|Peerage of Ireland|
|Earl of Arran