Atlantic Bridge, Panama
|Third Bridge over Panama Canal|
|Coordinates||Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Carries||Four lanes of traffic, pedestrians and bicycles|
|Crosses||Atlantic approach to the Panama Canal|
|Owner||Panama Canal Authority|
|Design||double-pylon, double-plane cable-stayed bridge|
|Total length||1,050 metres (3,440 ft)|
|Height||212.5 metres (697 ft)|
|Longest span||530 metres (1,740 ft)|
|Number of spans||3 (230, 530, 230 m)|
|Piers in water||1|
|Clearance below||75 metres (246 ft)|
|Designer||HPDI and Louis Berger Group|
|Constructed by||Vinci Construction Grands Projets|
|Construction begin||January 2013|
|Construction end||expected mid 2016|
The third bridge over the Panama Canal, known as the Atlantic Bridge, is a road bridge under construction in Colón, Panama, which will span the Atlantic entrance to the Canal. When completed it will be a third bridge over the Panama Canal after the Bridge of the Americas and the Centennial Bridge both on the Pacific side of the canal.
The bridge is proposed to be a double-pylon, double-plane, concrete girder, cable-stayed bridge with a main span of 530 metres (1,740 ft), and two side spans of 230 metres (750 ft). The east and west approaches are to be 1,074 metres (3,524 ft) and 756 metres (2,480 ft) long respectively. The bridge was designed by the China Communication Construction Company (CCCC) consisting of HPDI and Louis Berger Group.
Three consortiums were approved to bid for the bridge construction: Acciona Infraestructuras -Tradeco (Spain and Mexico), Odebrecht – Hyundai Joint Venture (Brazil and Korea), and Vinci Construction Grands Projets (France). Tenders were received in August 2012.
In October 2012, the Panama Canal Authority awarded a contract to The French company Vinci Construction Grands Projets to build a third (permanent) bridge, near the Atlantic side, for a price of US$365,979,472.39. The bridge has no name yet, but Third bridge and Atlantic side bridge are used, as well as Atlantic Bridge.
Construction of the bridge, which commenced in January 2013 will take three and a half years and is expected to be completed in mid 2016.
- "Chinese firm to design new bridge over Panama Canal". Xinhua. China Daily. 2011-06-04. Retrieved 17 April 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Three Qualified To Bid On Third Bridge Over Panama Canal Project". Panama-Guide. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 17 April 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Panama Canal Awards Contract to Build Bridge on the Atlantic Side". October 30, 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-05.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Construction Of Third Bridge Over Panama Canal in Colon Will Start in October 2012". Panama-Guide. 27 March 2012. Retrieved 17 April 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Third Bridge Over Canal to be Tendered in August". CentralAmericaData. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 17 April 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Atlantic Bridge, Panama". VINCI CONSTRUCTION. April 8, 2013. Retrieved 23 July 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Bridge on the CCCC webpage
- Bridge at Vinci Construction
- Atlantic Bridge at StructuraeLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 22: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
|This article about a specific bridge or group of bridges is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|