The Battle of Barbalissos was fought between the Sassanid Persians and Romans at Barbalissos. Shapur I used Roman incursions into Armenia as pretext and resumed hostilities with the Romans. The Sassanids attacked a Roman force at Barbalissos and the Roman army was defeated. The defeat of this large Roman force left the Roman east open to attack and led to the eventual capture of Antioch and Dura Europos three years later. This battle is only known through Shapur's inscription at Naqš-e Rostam.
- Kaveh Farroukh, Sassanian Elite Cavalry AD 224-642
- David S. Potter, The Roman Empire at Bay
- Res Gestae Divi Saporis
- ↑ Maria Brosius, The Persians, (Routledge, 2006), 145.
- ↑ Maria Brosius, The Persians, 145.
- ↑ Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1/Identifiers at line 47: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.