Beatrice of Rethel
|Beatrice of Rethel|
|File:Beatrix Konstancie Roger2.jpg|
|Spouse(s)||Roger II of Sicily|
|Father||Ithier, Count of Rethel|
|Mother||Beatrix of Namur|
|Died||30 March 1185|
Beatrice was born sometime between 1130 and 1132, the eldest daughter and one of the nine children of Ithier, Count of Rethel and Beatrix of Namur. Her father was Count of Rethel from 1158 to 1171.
Marriage, issue and widowhood
In 1151, Beatrice married Roger II of Sicily. Her tenure as consort lasted only about three years as Roger died on February 26, 1154. Beatrice was a little over three weeks pregnant at the time of his death, and their only daughter Constance of Sicily was born the following November. She married Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor, by whom she had one son, Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor.
- Alex Metcalfe, The Muslims of Medieval Italy (Edinburgh, 2009)
- Charles Cawley, Medieval Lands, Champagne Nobility
- Marek, Miroslav. "A listing of descendants of Matilda of Rethel". Genealogy.EU. External link in
- Norwich, John Julius. The Normans in the South 1016-1130. Longmans: London, 1967.
- Cawley, Charles, Champagne Nobility, Medieval Lands database, FMG, retrieved August 2012 Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>,[better source needed]
Sibylla of Burgundy
|Queen of Sicily
1151 – 26 February 1154
Margaret of Navarre