|Slogan||Inspiration. Spirituality. Faith|
Type of site
|Owner||BN Media Associates|
|Launched||December 28, 1999|
|7,290 (April 2014[update])|
Beliefnet is a website providing information about various faiths in addition to feature editorial around the topics of inspiration, spirituality, health, wellness, love and family, news and entertainment. Beliefnet is independent and not affiliated with any spiritual organization or movement.
Launched in 1999 by Steven Waldman and Robert Nylen, Beliefnet filled a gap in the religious and inspirational content available online. In 2007, Beliefnet was acquired by the Fox Entertainment Group, with a strategy of being integrated into other Fox-owned faith-based entities. This strategy was short-lived and ultimately evolved, again with the sale of Beliefnet in 2010, to BN Media, LLC, an entity that includes the investors behind Affinity4 and Cross Bridge.
Since 2010, Beliefnet has experienced a period of sustained growth, with over 9 million monthly visitors and 35 million monthly pageviews on average. Today Beliefnet also has over 2 million opt-in email subscribers to over 30 different email newsletters.
Beliefnet provides users with information on different faiths, including Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, among others, and encourages interfaith dialogue across the site. They feature stories, quizzes, recipes, and other resources related to spirituality, inspiration, health and wellness, love and family, and news and entertainment. More recently, Beliefnet has expanded its content base to include a Celebrity Showcase, with interviews and videos, as well as an extensive Celebrity Faith Database. Beliefnet has also introduced concentrated mini-sections to answer the demand for more genre-specific content, like its Apron Strings section, with resources for moms, as well as its Women's Health section. Beliefnet is independent and not affiliated with any spiritual organization or movement.
Social media presence
In 2012, Beliefnet expanded its social media network to over 20 million fans through the assimilation of several large Facebook properties (including ILoveGod, ILoveJesus, FollowingJesus, and others) and through a partnership with Dios Es Bueno.
Contributors and columnists
Since its launch in 1999, Beliefnet has been recognized with several web and editorial honors, including Webby awards, Online Journalism awards and American Society of Magazine Editor awards.
- "Beliefnet.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Press Release: Fox Entertainment Group Acquires Beliefnet
- Dawn C. Chmielewski (May 27, 2010). "News Corp. puts Beliefnet on the block". Los Angeles Times.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "BN Media, LLC Announces Acquisition of Beliefnet" (Press release). PR Newswire. June 25, 2010.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Olivia Barker; Donna Freydkin (January 23, 2012). "For Seal and Klum, a red flag of overt affection". USA Today.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>