From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Area1||1.71 km2 (0.66 sq mi)|
|• Density||900/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||61038 / 61130|
|Elevation||162–230 m (531–755 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
At the heart of the Parc Naturel Régional du Perche, in the Orne Department, Bellême is on a hill that dominates the Perche area.
|The arms of Bellême are blazoned :
Sable, a triple-towered keep Or.
- Church of Saint-Sauveur 15th century, 16th century, rebuilt between 1675 and 1710.
- Crypt of the Saint-Santin Chapel, dating from the tenth century.
- Château Gatehouse 15th century, and Moat.
- Remains of the Ramparts, bearing a plaque commemorating the capture of the château and the town by King Saint Louis and his mother, Blanche of Castile in 1229.
- 17th century and eighteenth century houses.
- 17th century Hôtel de ville.
- Sundials on rue du Château, place de la République and place Liègeard.
- The town is built around the crest of a natural bowl, in which sits an outdoor lido (swimming pool), moto-cross circuit, stables and an expansive 18-hole golf course with adjacent hotel and holiday apartments.
- Les Mycologiades internationales : Annual international wild mushroom festival.
Bellême is twinned with:
- The town's football club, FC Pays Bellêmois, compete in the Ligue de Football Basse-Normandie and the Coupe de France, playing their home games at the town's Terrain Intercommunal.
- Moto Club Bellêmois hosts motocross events that welcome an international field of competitors.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bellême.|