Bentley Mulsanne (2010)
|Manufacturer||Bentley Motors Ltd|
|Assembly||Crewe, England, United Kingdom|
|Designer||Dirk van Braeckel|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Full-size luxury car (F)|
|Body style||4-door saloon/sedan|
|Engine||6.75 L twin-turbo L Series V8|
|Transmission||8-speed ZF 8HP automatic|
|Wheelbase||3,266 mm (128.6 in)|
|Length||5,575 mm (219.5 in)|
|Width||1,926 mm (75.8 in) (w/mirrors: 2,208 mm (86.9 in))|
|Height||1,521 mm (59.9 in)|
|Kerb weight||2,650 kg (5,850 lb)|
The Bentley Mulsanne is a luxury car produced by Bentley Motors Limited in the United Kingdom. The car is named after the Mulsanne Corner of the Le Mans racing circuit, Bentley cars having won six victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in the past.
- 1 Legacy
- 2 Models
- 2.1 Mulsanne (2010-)
- 2.2 Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification (2012-)
- 2.3 Concept cars
- 2.4 Special models
- 2.5 Mulsanne Speed Model(2014)
- 3 Specifications
- 4 Production and marketing
- 5 Motorsport
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Bentley has brought back the Mulsanne nameplate that was last used in 1992, and this model replaces the Bentley Arnage. The new Mulsanne was unveiled at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, on 16 August 2009. Coupe and convertible variants are expected to follow at some point as replacements for the Arnage-based Brooklands and Azure respectively.
Like the Arnage, the Mulsanne retains the 6.75 L (6750 cc/411 in³) OHV V8 engine, modified to meet Euro V emissions regulations. The engine is lighter and features cylinder de-activation and variable cam phasing to improve fuel efficiency. Unlike the less expensive Bentley Continental Flying Spur and Bentley Continental GT, the Mulsanne shares fewer components with other marques in the Volkswagen Group.
The Mulsanne is the first flagship car to be independently designed by Bentley Motors in nearly 80 years; the last being W.O. Bentley's 8 litre model in 1930. Afterward, most Bentleys shared platforms with Rolls-Royce cars.
The rear is a modernised version of the 2006 Azure.
The new Mulsanne was unveiled at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, followed by 2009 Frankfurt motor show, 2010 North American International Auto Show, 2012 Qatar International Motor Show.
The first vehicle produced, with chassis number 00001, was sold in 2009 Gooding & Company Pebble Beach auction for USD$500,000 (USD$550,000 after buyer premium) to an undisclosed bidder. Deliveries to the UK began in Summer 2010.
Features include stainless steel knobs on the dashboard that control the vent plungers are electronic micro switches that control electric servos. The feedback remains that of a metal rod to control the damper.
Customers have a choice of 114 paint colors, 21 carpet colors, nine wood veneers, and 24 interior leather hides, as well as specify a custom color scheme. The rear seating area may be configured to accommodate either 2 or 3 passengers. Optional is a Naim 2200 watt audio system with MP3, Bluetooth, and an MMI capability.
Winter accessories were introduced in 2011. In 2012 several new features were made available on the MY 2013: new optional Bentley-designed luxury bottle cooler and rear cabin storage area with space for two full-size Champagne bottles in a canted position, three hand‑blown and hand-cut lead crystal champagne flutes with white LED accent lighting (designed by David Redman of London), 21-inch 5-spoke Sports alloy wheel, optional tinted glass sunroof in the front cabin.
2013 equipment update
Comfort specification includes new comfort headrests with manually adjustable wings for lateral support, new footrests with trimmed in flat-cut cabin carpet and hide to match each individual vehicle, fine duck down filled loose cushions seat, new rear door armrest storage compartment as standard.
Premiere Specification includes ambient interior mood lighting, bright stainless steel external trim, flying 'B' radiator mascot, rear view camera, seat ventilation and massage function and a veneered iPod drawer.
Entertainment specification includes picnic tables with iPad and keyboard compartment, an adjustable screen angle with an anti-trap sensor; 2 8-inch LCD headrest screens 20 GB hard drive and DVD player (played through a ‘Naim for Bentley’ premium audio system), two sets of bluetooth headphones and a remote control.
Other options include rear cabin privacy curtains, a Wi-Fi router with a high speed Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) phone module and SIM card reader in glove box, a dedicated antenna housed in the boot lid outside of the vehicle's steel frame, 3 new colours (Dark Cashmere, Portofino and Damson) and 3 new hide colours (Damson, Saffron and Brunel).
Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification (2012-)
Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification is a version of Mulsanne with 21-inch light aluminium alloy wheels with race‑derived titanium fasteners, bright-finished rims in painted and polished finishes, 265/40 ZR21 tyres, sweeping wing vents in cast polished stainless steel, Drive Dynamics Control system with 'Sport' setting, leather hide on the front and rear seats and door casings features an intricate Diamond Quilting pattern with indented leather headlining, cool-metal interior door handles with 'knurled' or 'coined' surface finish, 'Organ Stop' air ventilation controls and gear lever, leather gear lever with Baseball-style cross stitch, accelerator and brake pedals in drilled alloy, choice of over 100 body colours, unbleached premium quality veneers (with two marquetry options), choice of 22 leather hides.
Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification was unveiled at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show, followed by 2012 New York International Auto Show, 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show.
Executive Interior Concept (2011)
Mulsanne Executive Interior Concept is a version of Mulsanne demonstrating a new multimedia connectivity concept designed for executives. It included 2 electric-powered, foldable wood veneer picnic tables in the rear cabin, each with Apple iPad and Apple Bluetooth keyboards; Apple Mac Mini stored in boot compartment, roof console with 15.6 in (40 cm) High Definition LED dropdown monitor, illuminated rear centre console fitted with twin individual armrests, rear console with Apple iPod (control panel), two cupholders, tissue box and large stowage area; Apple iPod controls (Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) and audio system, Apple Media Centre, plays music and access to internet), 2 USB connectors provided for the Apple system and one Apple interface connector for the iPod, bespoke control keys on rear console operate picnic tables, reading lights, control HD LED screen and select video and audio options; Armrest with Tibaldi pen and Privacy Telephone handset, bespoke bottle cooler in rear centre console with illuminated double-glazed frosted glass door, additional multi-directional reading lights provided for each rear passenger and can be operated with Apple devices, mood lighting in the rear centre console (using multiple soft glowing LEDs), illuminated docking station and cup holders.
Mulsanne Convertible Concept (2012)
Mulsanne Diamond Jubilee Edition (2012-)
It is a limited (60 units) version of Mulsanne commemorating Queen Elizabeth II's birthday and Diamond Jubilee. It included bespoke embroidery to all four headrests using gold stitching, veneered picnic tables in the rear cabin decorated with a gold overlay depicting a royal carriage, hide cushions featuring the same motif, polished stainless steel treadplate plaques with 'Bentley Mulliner, England' script and 'Diamond Jubilee Edition'.
The vehicle was unveiled in Beijing International Automotive Exhibition in Sanlitun district.
Mulsanne Executive Interior (2012-)
The design of Mulsanne Executive Interior was based on Mulsanne Executive Interior Concept. The car is offered in two Specifications, Theatre and iPad. The iPad Specification includes 2 electrically-deployed veneered picnic tables for rear passengers (colour-matched to the seats of the Mulsanne), twin iPads with wireless keyboards. Mulsanne Theatre Specification includes a 15.6-inch centrally located HD LED screen or 8-inch screens fitted within the front seat headrests, boot-mounted Apple Mac computer.
Mulsanne Executive Interior with iPad Specification was unveiled in 2012 Moscow International Auto Salon.
Mulsanne Le Mans Edition (2013-)
It is a limited version (48 units per model) of Mulsanne for North American market, commemorating Bentley's six victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Each car includes a unique Le Mans Edition numbered badge, Le Mans Edition clock face, embroidered Le Mans badge to each headrest, tread plates with the limited edition name, unique Le Mans Edition wheels and specific interior veneers and exterior colours. The vehicles were made in 6 models, named after the winning drivers:
|John Duff||Moonbeam||Two-tone Linen and Beluga||Contrast||Piano Black and Bright Aluminium|
|Dudley Benjafield||Verdant||Two-tone Linen and Cumbrian Green||Contrast||Dark Stain Burr Walnut and Bright Aluminium|
|Woolf Barnato||Granite||Hotspur||Beluga||Dark Stain Burr Walnut with Dark Aluminium|
|Tim Birkin||Glacier White||Beluga||White||Piano Black and Bright Aluminium|
|Glen Kidston||Dark Sapphire||Two-tone Newmarket Tan and Imperial Blue||Contrast||Dark Stain Burr Walnut and Dark Aluminium|
|Guy Smith||Beluga||Beluga||Hotspur||Piano Black and Dark Aluminium|
The vehicle was unveiled in 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
Mulsanne Shaheen (2013-)
It is a version of Bentley Mulsanne with Mulliner Driving Specification for the Middle East market, with design inspired by the colourings of the Shaheen falcon. Changes include Tungsten over Onyx body colour, Magnolia and Beluga leather interior upholstery, Dark Stained Burr Walnut Veneer, a bespoke signature Mulsanne Shaheen logo on the rear iPad picnic tables using a gold overlay, iPad picnic tables, a Wi Fi hotspot, a large tilt-opening, tinted glass sunroof, an electrically operated bottle cooler.
Mulsanne Seasons Collector's Editions (2013-)
Mulsanne Seasons Collector's Editions (慕尚四季臻藏版) are limited (10 units for each of orchids (Spring), bamboo (Summer), chrysanthemums (Autumn), and plum (Winter); 1 unit for Golden Pine (Whole Year Edition)) versions of 2014 Bentley Mulsanne with Mulliner Driving Specification for China market, inspired China's culture. Designed with Lin Xi's interpretation of the Chinese 'Four Seasons', all models include 21-inch Mulliner Polished Wheel, twin picnic tables. Each model includes a season-specific theme (except Golden Pine):
|Model||Background veneer||plant||Paint||Main Hide||Secondary Hide||Contrast Cross Stitching||Emblem Stitching||Steering Wheel||Veneer||marquetry||Treadplate|
|Golden Pine (Whole Year Edition/四季臻华款)||Cluster Oak + Iridescent Finish (trunk), Brown Oak Burr (foliage)||Sword Shape Abalone||Antique Gold over Dark Antique Gold||Shortbread||Damson||Damson||Damson||Duo Tone||Cluster Oak Veneer with Iridescent Finish||‘Pine Tree’ inlay marquetry to front passenger fascia||‘Pine Tree’ Treadplate|
|Orchid (Spring/春沐款)||Cluster Oak + Iridescent Finish||Ripple Sycamore Olive Green & Bolivar Mid Green (leaves), Maple (stem), Swiss Pear (petal), Purple Heart (Petal accents), Boxwood & Ash Burr (Flower Centres)||Windsor Blue||Imperial Blue||Imperial Blue||Kingfisher||Kingfisher||Single tone||Birds Eye Maple||‘Orchid’ inlay marquetry to front passenger fascia||‘Orchid’ Treadplates|
|Bamboo (Summer/夏颂款)||BIRDS EYE MAPLE||Bolivar Mid Green (leaves), Beech Green (Leaf Highlights), Ripple Sycamore Green (Stems)||Rubino Red||Twine||Fireglow||Fireglow||Fireglow||Duotone||Birds Eye Maple||‘Bamboo’ inlay marquetry to front passenger fascia||‘Bamboo’ Treadplates|
|Chrysanthemum (Autumn/秋逸款)||DARK MADRONA||Ripple Sycamore Green + shading (leaves), Ripple Sycamore Green (stem), Ripple sycamore (petal), Birds Eye maple pink (bud)||Ghost White||Beluga||Beluga||Linen||Linen||Singletone||Dark Burr Madrona (special)||‘Chrysanthemum’ inlay marquetry to front passenger fascia||‘Chrysanthemum’ Treadplates|
|Plum blossom (Winter/冬魅款)||DARK MADRONA||Birds eye maple brown (branch), American walnut burr (Branch Shaddows), Ripple Sycamore (Blossom), Tulipwood burr (Stamen)||Black Crystal||Damson||Damson||Linen||Linen||Singletone||Dark Burr Madrona (special)||‘Plum Blossom’ inlay marquetry to front passenger fascia||‘Plum Blossom’ Treadplates|
The Golden Pine car was sold for 8,880,000 yuan, while other models were sold for 6,880,000 yuan.
Birkin Mulsanne (2014-)
It is a limited (22 units) version of Bentley Mulsanne with Mulliner Driving Specification and Entertainment Specification for European market, inspired by Sir Henry ‘Tiger’ Tim Birkin. Changes include a choice of 2 body colour schemes (Ghost White and Damson, Fountain Blue and Dark Sapphire), numbered door sill plaques, a unique 21-inch wheel design inspired by those on the original Mulsanne concept car, a 3D 'Flying B' logo stitched into the vehicle headrests and inlaid into the wood of the front fascia and rear picnic tables, a tailored luggage set individually numbered and matched with the interior of each car.
Mulsanne Speed Model(2014)
This new Speed model offers even greater performance and more premium features compared to a standard Bentley Mulsanne. Under the bonnet is a 6.75-litre twin-turbocharged V8 petrol engine that produces 530 bhp. This gives the saloon a 0-62 mph sprint time of just 4.9 seconds, which is 0.4 seconds faster than a standard Mulsanne. Meanwhile, the top speed is increased from 184 mph to 190 mph.
|Mulsanne||2010–||6,752 cc (412.0 cu in) V8 twin turbo||512 PS (377 kW; 505 hp)@4200, 1,020 N·m (752 lb·ft)@1750|
|Mulsanne||2010–||8-speed ZF automatic with electronic shift interface, sport mode and steering wheel mounted paddleshift|
Production and marketing
Each car takes nine to twelve weeks to produce.
Production began at Crewe plant in Spring 2010.
As part of Mulsanne Seasons Collector's Editions launch, Breitling SA produced a Breitling for Bentley B04 GMT Mulsanne wrist watch. During Mulsanne Seasons Collector's Editions launch in 2013 Guangzhou International Auto Show, the 1000th Chinese customer for Bentley Mulsanne was announced.
Mulsanne competed in the 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed hill climb.
Mulsanne was used as 2012 Nürburgring 24 Hour Race official parade car.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bentley Mulsanne (2009).|
- Condon, Josh. "Bentley Mulsanne: The famed British saloon builder replaces the Arnage with an all-new stunner". MSN Autos. Retrieved 4 December 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Bentley Mulsanne Detailed Specifications". Retrieved 2012-02-17.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Raynal, Wes (June 7, 2010). "Big Beauty". AutoWeek. 60 (11): 20–22.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Bentley Mulsanne, the all-new grand Bentley". BentleyMotors.com. Retrieved 1 September 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Joseph, Noah (2009-09-24). "RBentley Mulsanne to spawn coupe and convertible to replace Brooklands and Azure". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-10-02.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The New Bentley Mulsanne Launch Date Announced". Carpages.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-02.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Ulrich, Lawrence (30 September 2011). "A Threat to the Job Security of Chauffeurs". The New York Times.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "British luxury built from the ground up". The New Zealand Herald. 19 August 2009. Retrieved 1 September 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- NEW BENTLEY MULSANNE MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D’ELEGANCE, CALIFORNIA
- BENTLEY MOTORS SHOWCASES NEW FLAGSHIP MULSANNE AND SERIES 51 CONTINENTAL GTC AT DETROIT MOTOR SHOW
- BENTLEY AT THE QATAR INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW
- "First 2011 Bentley Mulsanne sells for $550,000 at auction". MotorAuthority.com. 18 August 2009. Retrieved 1 September 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- All-New Grand Bentley
- The First Bentley Mulsanne Sells at Pebble Beach Auction for $550k
- "2011 Bentley Mulsanne". Autoblog.com.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- BENTLEY-APPROVED WINTER ACCESSORIES RANGE
- BENTLEY CELEBRATES REGIONAL SUCCESS AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW WITH DEBUT OF NEW FLYING SPUR
- BENTLEY REVEALS NEW MULSANNE MULLINER DRIVING SPECIFICATION
- BENTLEY SHOWCASES NEW MULSANNE MULLINER DRIVING SPECIFICATION IN NEW YORK
- BENTLEY TO TAKE GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED BY STORM
- BENTLEY SHOWCASES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUTS
- Glucker, Jeff. "Bentley Mulsanne Executive Interior Concept is how to roll like a real boss". AutoBlog. Aol. Retrieved 8 October 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- CONNECTIVITY MEETS CRAFTSMANSHIP
- BENTLEY GTC CONVERTIBLE MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT LA SHOW
- BENTLEY ANNOUNCES NEW MULSANNE VISION – THE WORLD’S MOST ELEGANT CONVERTIBLE
- BENTLEY HONOURS ROYAL DIAMOND JUBILEE WITH 60 SPECIAL MULSANNES
- THREE PREMIERES FOR BENTLEY AT MOSCOW SHOW
- BENTLEY ANNOUNCES LE MANS LIMITED EDITION MULSANNE AND CONTINENTAL MODELS
- Bentley Continental, Mulsanne get Le Mans limited editions
- MULSANNE LE MANS LIMITED EDITION MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT PEBBLE BEACH
- Bentley rolls out Shaheen edition Mulsanne in Dubai
- Lin Xi is an avant-garde artist with a distinctively Chinese sensibility.
- Bentley Mulsanne Seasons Collectors' Edition at 2013 Auto Guangzhou
- MULSANNE SEASONS 慕尚四季臻藏版
- Golden Pine
- PLUM BLOSSOM
- BENTLEY CREATES ORIENT INSPIRED MULSANNE SEASONS COLLECTOR’S EDITIONS
- 宾利慕尚推出四季臻藏版 广州车展上市
- Bentley Creates Orient Inspired Mulsanne Seasons Collector’s Editions
- Bentley rolls out special Birkin edition Mulsanne in Europe
- BENTLEY UNVEILS LIMITED EDITION BIRKIN MULSANNE
- "New Bentley Mulsanne Speed". askaprice.com. 2014-09-24. Retrieved 24 September 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Martin, James (9 April 2011). "Some things the Germans need a hand with - like building the Bentley Mulsanne". London: Mail Online. Retrieved 5 December 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Bentley Mulsanne Engine Detailed
- BENTLEY MULSANNE – THE MIGHTY NEW V8
- 百年灵 宾利GMT计时腕表 Mulsanne特别版 臻华绽放
- Bentley Mulsanne Celebrates 1,000th Customer in China
- BENTLEY V8 THUNDERS OVER GOODWOOD’S HILLS
- BENTLEY ON PARADE AT THE NÜRBURGRING 24 HOURS
|Bentley timeline, 1920s–present|
|Ownership||Bentley Motors Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
|3 L||4½ L
|Cars with Bentley own-factory coachwork|
|Bentleys on the Volkswagen platform|
|« previous — Bentley, a subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group, automobile timeline, 1998–present|
|Saloon||Arnage||Continental Flying Spur||Flying Spur|
|Red Label||Arnage R/T||Mulsanne|
|Coupé||Continental R||Continental GT||Continental GT|
|Continental T||Brooklands Coupé|
|Convertible||Continental GTC||Continental GTC|