Black Gate (magazine)
|File:BlackGateMagazineCover Issue1 2.jpg|
|Publisher||New Epoch Press|
Black Gate is a glossy, quarterly fantasy magazine founded in 2000 and published by New Epoch Press. Using the slogan "Adventures in Fantasy Literature," Black Gate primarily features original short fiction up to novella length.
In addition to fiction, Black Gate also features reviews of fantasy novels, graphic novels, and role playing game products. This is supplemented by columns and articles reflecting on fantasy literature's past as well as the occasional interview. Every issue contains the comic Knights of the Dinner Table: Java Joint by Kenzer & Company of Knights of the Dinner Table fame.
Much of the fiction is by lesser known or new authors, but noted contributors have included Michael Moorcock, Mike Resnick, Charles de Lint and Cory Doctorow. As a semi-regular feature, Black Gate reprints rare adventure stories from earlier decades or work from more recent years that the editors feel has been neglected. For instance, past issues have featured serialized Tumithak novels from Charles R. Tanner.
On its debut, Black Gate received strong reviews in Locus and elsewhere, many citing the sheer size of the issues (usually 200+ pages) and the high production values. This has proved quite ambitious, though. Various production problems have led to publication less frequent than the intended quarterly schedule. Nevertheless, John O'Neill has made a public commitment to readers and advertisers to get production back on track and more frequent publication of the recent issues tend to support that claim.
- John O'Neill, 2000 to present
- Howard Andrew Jones, 2006 to present
Cite error: Invalid
<references> tag; parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />
- "Reviews of Black Gate Magazine". Black Gate. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Rodger Turner, Webmaster. "SF Site Featured Review Black Gate #3, Winter 2002". Sfsite. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- SF Site Featured Review Black Gate #9
- SF Site Featured Review Black Gate #13, Spring 2009
- "Lois Tilton Reviews Short Fiction Late April 2010". Locusmag. 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- "Locus Index to SF Awards: Index of Literary Nominees". Locusmag. Retrieved 2011-11-09.