McKee is a Democratic Unionist Party councillor and a member of Larne Borough Council since 1989. He has served as a Mayor of Larne in 2004 and 2008. His brother Jack McKee was a DUP councillor in Larne and is now a member of the Traditional Unionist Voice.
He lost both his legs as the result of a car bomb when he was a member of the UVF. A founder member and chairman of the N.I. Amputees Association he is also chairman of Larne Disabled Fitness Suite. Bobby is Vice chairman of C.A.B. and has been a member for 10 years. A member of N.I. Housing Council for 15 years he has served as a board member for 6 years.He received the MBE in 2004 in recognition for his work in politics.
In 2009 McKee led a welcoming delegation to the Catholic Ancient Order of Hibernians at Larne Borough Council headquarters in an attempt to boost cross community relations in the area in what was described as a historic day. In 2010 McKee condemned a British National Party leafleting campaign in Larne regarding a new refugee centre being built in the town and accused the BNP of whipping up racial tension.
On January 2011 he was involved in a car crash where his car went through the front window of an insurance shop in Larne.No one was injured in the incident.
- Larne Borough Council
- Members Profile DUP.org
- "Bobby McKee elected new Mayor of Larne". Larne Times. Johnston Publishing. 12 June 2008. Retrieved 11 August 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "TUV decision 'no slight'", Larne Times, 20 March 2008
- Councillor apologises after 'stumpy' jibe Breaking News.ie
- Historic Day Larne Times
- BNP Takes Hate Message To Larne Belfast Telegraph
- DUP councillor crashes into Larne insurance shop Belfast Telegraph
|This biographical article about a mayor in Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|