Relations between the two countries has been established since 1 May 1984. In 1985, His Majesty Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah paid a first private visit to Germany and in 1998 made a state visit while an official visit was made on 2002 and 2011. In other side, Chancellor Helmut Kohl paid an official visit to Brunei on 1997.
Brunei views Germany as an important economic partner with bilateral trade increased in 2011 to approximately €346 million. Germany exports to Brunei are mainly in cars, machinery, chemicals and heavy equipment. There is also a ratification of an agreement on the encouragement and reciprocal protection of investment between both countries.
- "Brunei-Germany Relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Brunei). Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Germany and Brunei Darussalam (Bilateral relations)". German Embassy in Bandar Seri Begawan. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Brunei Darussalam". Federal Foreign Office (Germany). December 2013. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Brunei-Germany ties lauded". VIP News. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Ties between Brunei, Germany further strengthen". Xinhua News Agency. English People's Daily Online. 27 September 2009. Retrieved 14 February 2014.