Bundaberg Brewed Drinks
|Founder||Cliff Fleming, Lee Fleming, Gladys Fleming and Neville Fleming|
Bundaberg Brewed Drinks Pty Ltd is a very large brewer of non-alcoholic beverages (soft drink) located in Bundaberg, Queensland. The business is owned by an Australian family. Since 2006, Bundaberg has been exporting its brewed drinks to over 32 countries. The company was established in 1960. The founder was Cliff Fleming who remains the chairman of the company. The current CEO is John McLean.
There are many flavours as well as four diet varieties and specific country variants. The flavours include:
- Ginger Beer
- Lemon Lime and Bitters
- Sarsaparilla / Root Beer
- Burgundee (Creaming Soda)
- Pink Grapefruit
- Blood Orange
- Apple Cider
- Traditional Lemonade
- Pineapple and Coconut
The diet range include:
- Diet Ginger Beer
- Diet Lemon Lime and Bitters
- Diet Sarsaparilla / Root Beer
Bundaberg's brewing process typically consists of 5 stages. The following process is an example of how Bundaberg's Ginger Beer is brewed.
Stage 1. Grinding the Ginger
Bundaberg Ginger Beer is made using dried ginger root. The ginger comes from the local Queensland area and is dried using a special process that ensures the natural flavour is preserved. The dried ginger root is ground into a coarse flour.
Stage 2. Making the Ginger Wort
The ground ginger is mixed with Queensland Cane Sugar and water. The mixture is heated to release flavours, sugars and starches from the ginger. The ginger starches are also broken down into fermentable sugars.
Stage 3. Fermenting with yeast
Yeast is added to ferment the wort. A special yeast is used in the natural brewing process which extracts ginger flavor and distinctive taste.
Stage 4. Maturating the Ginger Beer
After fermentation, the ginger is filtered to an exacting degree to leave behind the smaller, flavorsome pieces of ginger that will provide extra flavor during maturation and beyond.
The ginger beer at this stage is a concentrate or strong ginger beer. It is stored this way to maximize maturation.
Stage 5. Making it ready to Drink
After maturation, the ginger beer is diluted with water, sugar and citric acid to drinking strength and filtered. It is then sent to the filler where it is carbonated and put into bottles.
In 2005, Bundaberg Brewed Drinks opened their tourist facility, The Bundaberg Barrel, one of Australia's Big Things in Bundaberg. The Barrel has a 3D hologram video, interactive displays on the brewing process and taste testing.
- List of brand name soft drinks products
- List of soft drink flavors
- List of soft drinks by country
- Drink portal
- "Bundaberg Brewed Drinks Pty Ltd: Private Company Information". BusinessWeek Snapshot. Bloomberg. Retrieved 24 November 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "...Unfortunately we don't sell the Royal Crown Draft in Aus! If you are ever in Bundy , you can get it at the Barrel!". Twitter. Retrieved 27 February 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Brewing Process, http://www.bundaberg.com/info/about_us/our_brewing_process/