Butler Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Butler Township, Darke County, Ohio|
|Countryside between Castine and Ithaca|
|Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||34.7 sq mi (89.8 km2)|
|• Land||34.6 sq mi (89.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,083 ft (330 m)|
|• Density||44/sq mi (17.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086012|
Butler Township is one of the twenty townships of Darke County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 1,535 people in the township, 1,213 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Neave Township - north
- Van Buren Township - northeast corner
- Twin Township - east
- Harrison Township, Preble County - southeast corner
- Monroe Township, Preble County - south
- Jefferson Township, Preble County - southwest corner
- Harrison Township - west
- Liberty Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Thomas Hans, Mark Loxley, and Larry Royer, and the clerk is Melissa Sullenbarger.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Butler township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Butler township, Butler township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 462.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.