CM-32 Armoured Vehicle
CM-32 Armoured Vehicle (mobile-gun platform variant)
|Place of origin||Taiwan (Republic of China)|
|Designer||Ordnance Readiness Development Center and Timoney Technology Limited|
|Manufacturer||Ordnance Readiness Development Center|
|Unit cost||NT$700 million (US$21.9 million)|
|Crew||2 + 8 passengers|
|Armor||12.7 mm AP front arc, 7.62 mm AP all around|
|30 mm Bushmaster II chaingun, 40 mm automatic grenade launcher, 105 mm rifled gun, or 120 mm mortar|
|Type 74 7.62 mm machine gun (co-axial)|
|Engine||Caterpillar C12 diesel, 450 hp|
The CM-32 "Clouded Leopard" (雲豹裝甲車 "Yunpao"), officially Taiwan Infantry Fighting Vehicle (TIFV), is an eight-wheeled armoured vehicle currently being produced for the Republic of China (Taiwan) Army. It is based on the 6x6 CM-31 designed by Timoney Technology Limited of Ireland and is further developed by the Ordnance Readiness Development Center.
Design and development
The project was launched in 2002, at a cost of NT$700 million (US$21.9 million) per unit.
Mass production started in 2007, with an initial order for 600 units. It is estimated that up to 1,400 CM-32s may end up being in operational service. The armor of the CM-32 provides protection of 7.62 mm AP rounds, while the frontal arc withstands 12.7 mm AP rounds. NBC protection and fire suppression systems are also standard. The V-shaped hull provides protection from landmines and can withstand 12 kg of TNT under any wheel.
The CM-32 is armed with a 40 mm automatic grenade launcher and a 7.62 mm co-axial machinegun, both mounted in a remote weapons station, in its basic APC form. An infantry fighting vehicle variant with a two-man turret is also slated for mass-production in the near future; the turret main armament was originally planned to be a 20 mm T75 revolver cannon combined with improved armor-piercing ammunition acquired alongside the Phalanx Block 1B weapon systems ordered by the Republic of China Navy, but ultimately the 30 mm Bushmaster II chaingun was chosen instead.
In addition to the infantry carriers, other planned variants include command vehicle, NBC reconnaissance vehicle, mortar carrier (can be configured with either a 81 mm or 120 mm mortar), and assault gun (armed with a 105 mm rifled gun).
- Armoured Personnel Carrier/Infantry Fighting Vehicle/Armoured fighting vehicle
- Jane's Information Group article: "CM-32 enters pre-production phase in Taiwan". Retrieved on August 9, 2007.
- "Thumbs-up for new armored vehicle". Taipei Times. 2005-01-12. Retrieved 2007-06-04.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Taiwan To Begin Mass Producing Armoured Vehicles. Retrieved on August 9, 2007.
Media related to CM-32 Yunpao at Wikimedia Commons
- Jane's Information Group article: "CM-32 enters pre-production phase in Taiwan"
- Globalsecurity.org report on the CM32
- CM32 8X8 Yunpao (Cloud Leopard) Armored Vehicle - Globalsecurity
- MND denies armor on carrier vehicles is defective - Taipei Times
- "Comparative Levels of Ballistic Protection" on Armoured Fighting Vehicles - Globalsecurity
- ‘Clouded Leopard’ delivery delayed until 2019 - Taipei Times
- About 60 detained in military probe - Taipei Times
- Thirty-three indicted in military procurement case - Taipei Times
- The Modern Battle Tanks Of Asia - Monitoring the 21st Century Asian Arms Race
- The Eight By Eight APCs Transforming Modern War - Monitoring the 21st Century Asian Arms Race
- Taiwan's military-industrial complex dominates at arms show