Captain Fantastic (film)
|File:Captain Fantastic poster.jpg
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Matt Ross|
|Written by||Matt Ross|
|Music by||Alex Somers|
|Edited by||Joseph Krings|
|Distributed by||Bleecker Street|
Captain Fantastic is a 2016 American drama film written and directed by Matt Ross and starring Viggo Mortensen as a man who attempts to reintegrate into society after living in isolation for a decade. The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2016. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. It is scheduled to be released on July 8, 2016, by Bleecker Street.
Deep in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, a father devoted to raising his six kids with a rigorous physical and intellectual education is forced to leave his paradise and enter the world, beginning a journey that challenges his idea of what it means to be a parent.
In February 2014, it was announced that Viggo Mortensen had joined the cast of the film portraying the role of an idealistic father. It was also announced that Matt Ross would be directing the film from a screenplay he wrote with, Lynette Howell and Jamie Patricof producing under the Electric City Entertainment banner. In June 2014, it was announced that George MacKay, Annalise Basso, Samantha Isler, Nicholas Hamilton, Shree Crooks and newcomer Charlie Shotwell had all been cast in the film. It was also announced that Shivani Rawat and Nimitt Mankad’s ShivHans Pictures has come aboard to finance the film with Monica Levinson executive producing. In July 2014, Frank Langella joined the cast of the film. In August 2014, it was announced that Steve Zahn, Kathryn Hahn, Missi Pyle and Erin Moriarty had all been cast in the film.
In July 2014, eOne Entertainment acquired international distribution rights to the film. In August 2014, it was announced that Bleecker Street would distribute the film in the United States. The film had its world premiere at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2016. The film is scheduled to be released on July 8, 2016. The film was aired in Un Certain Regard at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, with Matt Ross winning the Best Director prize.
Captain Fantastic has received generally positive reviews from critics. It holds a 67% "Fresh" rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 9 reviews, with an average rating of 6.1/10. On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 67 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "Generally favorable reviews".
Alonso Duralde of The Wrap gave the film a positive review, saying "The movie really belongs to Mortensen, who allows Ben to be exasperating, arrogant and impatient but also warm, loving and caring. He’s a tough but adoring father, a grieving widower and an angry defender of his wife’s final wishes, and Mortensen plays all these notes and more with subtlety and grace." Peter Debruge of Variety gave the film a positive review, saying "Boasting half a dozen impressive youth performances alongside a leading role that takes full advantage of Mortensen’s own sensitive, back-to-nature spirit, “Captain Fantastic” easily ranks among the most polished and relatable of this year’s Sundance offerings."
- "SUNDANCE INSTITUTE COMPLETES FEATURE FILM LINEUP FOR 2016 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL". sundance.org. December 7, 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- "2016 Cannes Film Festival Announces Lineup". IndieWire. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- "Cannes 2016: Film Festival Unveils Official Selection Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- Penderson, Erik (February 4, 2016). "‘Captain Fantastic’ Gets Summer Release From Bleecker Street". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 20, 2014). "Viggo Mortensen To Star In Electric City’s ‘Captain Fantastic’". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Yamato (June 27, 2014). "Viggo Mortensen Starrer ‘Captain Fantastic’ Adds Cast Of Youngsters". Jen. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (July 18, 2014). "Frank Langella To Star With Viggo Mortensen In ‘Captain Fantastic’". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (August 4, 2014). "‘Captain Fantastic’ Enlists More Cast As eOne Boards Viggo Mortensen Pic". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Keary, Polly (July 22, 2014). "Viggo Mortensen filming in upper Sky Valley". MonroeMonitor.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Nancy Tartaglione. "eOne Takes International On Captain Fantastic, Zahn, Hahn, Pyle, Moriarty Join Film | Deadline". deadline.com. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- McClintock, Pamela (August 13, 2014). "Toronto: Former Focus Co-CEO Andrew Karpen Launches New Distribution Company". TheHollywoodReporter.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- "Captain Fantastic". Sundance.org. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- ‘Olli Mäki,’ ‘Captain Fantastic’ Win Big in Un Certain Regard at Cannes
- "Captain Fantastic (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- "Captain Fantastic". Metacritic. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Duralde, Alonso (January 24, 2016). "Captain Fantastic’ Sundance Review: Viggo Mortensen Raises an Off-the-Grid Family in This Touching Dramedy". TheWrap.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Debrudge, Peter (January 23, 2016). "Sundance Film Review 'Captain Fantastic'". Variety.com. Retrieved February 13, 2016.