A car dealership or vehicle local distribution is a business that sells new or used cars at the retail level, based on a dealership contract with an automaker or its sales subsidiary. It employs automobile salespeople to sell their automotive vehicles. It may also provide maintenance services for cars, and employ automotive technicians to stock and sell spare automobile parts and process warranty claims. In 2013, the U.S. new car dealers market was close to $715 billion and the used car dealers industry almost $89 billion.
Modern car dealerships
Car dealerships were traditionally large lots located out of town or on the edge of town centres and which relied on the skills of sales staff to sell vehicles. However, that model has begun to change and a number of automotive manufacturers have shifted the focus of their franchised retailers on to branding and technology. BMW has moved to create a standard look for its dealerships around the world and to introduce ‘product geniuses’ to liaise with customers.  Audi has experimented with a hi-tech showroom that allows customers to configure and experience cars on 1:1 scale digital screens. Mercedes-Benz has opened city centre brand stores to showcase its vehicles and its craftsmanship.  Tesla Motors has opened city centre galleries where prospective customers can view cars that can only be ordered online.
Multibrand car dealers
Auto transport is used to move vehicles from the factory to the dealerships. This includes international and domestic shipping. It was largely a commercial activity conducted by manufacturers, dealers, and brokers. Internet use has encouraged this niche service to expand and reach the general consumer marketplace.
- Kelley Blue Book
- Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations of India (FADA)
- National Automobile Dealers Association
- Presidential Task Force on the Auto Industry
- "New Car Dealers Report". Pell Research. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- New BMW stores to be big, open, beige
- Geniuses smart move for dealers, BMW says
- The Future of Car Retailing - Forbes
-  Archived 8 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Tesla sets up shop in Dallas - minus test-drives and sales
- Tesla: we're not car dealerships | Marketplace.org
- Das Automobile-A Multibrand Car Showroom
- First EVEN EV store opens
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Automobile dealerships.|
- EU car dealership reforms
- PDF (167 KB)