Caracas Venezuela Temple
|Caracas Venezuela Temple|
|Dedication||20 August 2000
Gordon B. Hinckley
|Site||0.5 acres (0.2 hectares)|
|Floor area||15,332 sq ft (1,424 m2)|
|Preceded by||Oklahoma City Oklahoma Temple|
|Followed by||Houston Texas Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. The Caracas Venezuela Temple is the 96th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
In 1995, LDS Church president Gordon B. Hinckley announced plans to construct an LDS temple in Venezuela. Immediately following that announcement, a search was conducted to find a suitable site on which to build. Several properties were considered over the next eighteen months but none was chosen. It was finally decided the temple would be built in the city of Caracas on land that the church already owned. The groundbreaking of the Caracas Venezuela Temple took place in 1999.
Unexpected obstacles occurred during the construction of the temple. When digging the foundation, excavators discovered an underground spring. When the water was diverted, the excavation continued. However, the digging caused two major landslides. The first landslide did not cause any damage, but the second did. Eight tons of earth and materials were shifted in the slide. Despite these setbacks, the work was completed in just over a year and a half.
When Hinckley dedicated the temple on August 20, 2000, nearly six thousand members of the LDS Church were in attendance. The Caracas Venezuela Temple has a total of 15,332 square feet (1,424.4 m2), two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Venezuela
- "Choosing the Land", by Flora Ruscitti [clarification needed]
- "Caracas Venezuela: 'This most significant gift from Thee'", Church News, Aug 26, 2000
- "Facts and figures: Caracas Venezuela Temple", Church News, Aug 26, 2000
- Swensen, Jason (Aug 26, 2000), "Venezuela saints rejoicing at new Caracas temple", Church News
- Swensen, Jason (Oct 28, 2000), "Caracus, city of eternal vision, promise", Church News
- Swensen, Jason (Jan 25, 2003), "Church leaders work to buoy members' spirits: Strife in Venezuela causing political divisiveness", Church News
- "Country information: Venezuela", Church News, Feb 1, 2010
- "'Worth every sacrifice'", Church News, Aug 4, 2012
- Weaver, Sarah Jane (June 16, 2012), "Journey to the temple", Church News