The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (February 2014)
|Part of a series on|
Carl Watner (born 1948) is an American author and historian of libertarian studies, and a voluntaryist. He has written articles for Reason magazine, The Libertarian Forum, and The Journal of Libertarian Studies.
He publishes and edits The Voluntaryist newsletter since 1982. The Voluntaryist promotes libertarian economics, abstention from voting, nonviolence, and abolition of the state through conscious non-cooperation. The libertarian philosophy of the late Robert LeFevre, of whom he was a student, was influential in Watner's intellectual development. In addition to writing articles for The Voluntaryist, Watner researches and writes about historical libertarian texts. Murray Rothbard credited Watner for "uncovering an unknown work by the great Lysander Spooner, one that managed to escape the editor of Spooner's Collected Works" entitled "Vices are not Crimes." His work has been discussed and cited by Roderick Long, David Gordon of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, and other scholars.
- Editor. A Voluntary Political Government: Letters From Charles Lane. Michael E. Coughlin, 1982.
- Businessmen Versus Neocheaters. Neo-Tech Publishing, 1986.
- with McElroy, W. Dissenting Electorate: Those Who Refuse to Vote and the Legitimacy of Their Opposition. McFarland & Company, 2004.
- Homeschooling: A Hope for America. Watner, 2010.
- Editor. I Must Speak Out: The Best of the Voluntaryist 1982-1999. Fox & Wilkes, 1999.
- with McElroy, W. National Identification Systems: Essays in Opposition. McFarland & Company, 2004.
- Neither Bullets Nor Ballots. The Voluntaryists, 1983.
- Editor. Render Not: The Case Against Taxation. Cobden Press, 2011.
- Robert LeFevre: "Truth Is Not a Half-way Place". The Voluntaryists, 1988.
- Toward a Proprietary Theory of Justice. Watner, 1976.
- Your Document for the Use of Silence as the Ultimate Protector of Individual Rights. The Zon Association., 1984
- Murray Rothbard, Introduction to "Vices are Not Crimes: A Vindication of Moral Liberty" by Lysander Spooner (Cupertino, CA: Tanstaafl, 1977; published first in 1875
- Long, Roderick. "Dismantling Leviathan from Within." Formulations. Summer 1995. 
- Gordon, David (2006-04-24) A Man, a Plan, a Flop, Mises.org