Carol Patrice Christ
||This article includes inline citations, but they are not properly formatted. (October 2015)|
She is the author of the widely reprinted essay "Why Women Need the Goddess,", which argues in favor of the concept of there having been an ancient religion of a supreme goddess. This essay was presented as the keynote address to an audience of over 500 at the "Great Goddess Re-emerging" conference at the University of Santa Cruz in the spring of 1978, and was first published in Heresies: The Great Goddess Issue (1978), pgs. 8-13.  Christ has written five influential books on women's spirituality and feminist theology. Carol P. Christ also co-edited the classic feminist religion anthologies Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality (1989) and Womanspirit Rising (1979/1989); the latter included her essay Why Women Need the Goddess.  Both anthologies included feminist religious writing from writers from a very diverse range of religious backgrounds. Carol P. Christ has taught at major universities in the United States, including Columbia University, Harvard Divinity School, Pomona College, San Jose State, and the California Institute of Integral Studies. As director of the Ariadne Institute she conducts pilgrimages to sacred sites in Greece containing artifacts of matriarchal religion. She has for many years been a resident of the Greek island of Lesbos, the home of the poet Sappho.
- "Ecofeminism," in Michel Weber and Will Desmond (eds.), Handbook of Whiteheadian Process Thought, Frankfurt / Lancaster, ontos verlag, 2008, pp. 87-98.
- She Who Changes (Palgrave Macmillan, 2003)
- Seventh chapter of Transforming the Faiths of our Fathers: Women who Changed American Religion, edited by Ann Braude. (2004)
- Rebirth of the Goddess (Routledge, 1998)
- Odyssey with the Goddess (Continuum, 1995)
- Weaving the Visions (coeditor with Judith Plaskow, 1989)
- Laughter of Aphrodite (Harper, 1987)
- Diving Deep and Surfacing (Beacon, 1980/1986/1995)
- Womanspirit Rising (coeditor with Judith Plaskow) (Harper & Row, 1979, 1989)
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF) .
- "per Carol P Christ biography for Signs Out of Time Project".
- Ariadne Institute – Carol Words
- Women and Spirituality
- Marija Gimbutas web site
- Works by or about Carol Patrice Christ in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Matrifocus Journal