|The border between Chong-Alay district and Alay district
The border between Chong-Alay district and Alay district
|• Total||1,875 sq mi (4,857 km2)|
|• Urban density||13/sq mi (5.2/km2)|
|enumerated de facto population|
|Time zone||GMT +5 (UTC+5)|
Chong-Alay District (big Alay) (Kyrgyz: Чоң Алай району; Russian: Чон-Алайский район) is a raion (district) of Osh Region in far south-western Kyrgyzstan. The capital lies at Daroot-Korgon. The Chong-Alay District include 3 rural communities (ayıl ökmötü): Chong-Alay, Kashka-Suu, and Jekendi.
Chong-Alay District occupies the western part of Alay Valley. The northern boundary of the district is located at Alay Mountains, and southern - at Trans-Alay Range. The valley is inclined from east to west, with the lowest point at 1560 meters above sea level.
Climate is sharply continental with cold winters. Annual precipitation is 500–650 mm. Average temperature in July is +19-22C, and December -10-15C.
The hydrology is dominated by Kyzyl-Suu (west) and its tributaries.
As of 2009, Chong-Alay District comprised 1 town, and 99 villages. Its population, according to the Population and Housing Census of 2009, was 23,598. All people live in rural areas.
|Historical populations in Chong-Alay District|
|Note: enumerated de facto population; Source:|
According to the 2009 Census, the ethnic composition of the Chong-Alay District (de jure population) was:
|Ethnic group||Population||Proportion of Chong-Alay District population|
The populated places in the Chong-Alay District are:
- Jekendi aiyl okmotu (Karamyk, Jekendi, Kara-Teiyt, Shibee, and Chuluk)
- Kashka-Suu aiyl okmotu (Kashka-Suu, Achyksuu, Kabyk, Kara-Kavak, and Burgan-Suu)
- Chong-Alay aiyl okmotu (Daroot-Korgon, Jashbashi, Jashtilek, Jaman-Jar, Kochkorchu, Kulchu, Kyzyl-Tuu, Sary-Bulak, Chak, Kyzyl-Eshme, and Kara-Shybak)
- Population and Housing Census 2009. Book 3 (in tables). Regions of Kyrgyzstan: Osh Region (Перепись населения и жилищного фонда Кыргызской Республики 2009. Книга 3 (в таблицах). Регионы Кыргызстана: Ошская область (PDF), Bishkek: National Committee on Statistics, 2010
- "Administrative sub-division of Kyrgyzstan (map)". Enrin.grida.no. Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- "List of rural communities of Kyrgyzstan". Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- Ошская область:Энциклопедия [Encyclopedia of Osh Oblast] (in Russian). Bishkek: Chief Editorial Board of Kyrgyz Soviet Encyclopedia. 1987. p. 446.
- "State Administration of Osh Oblast (in Russian)". Retrieved 2010-03-14.
- List of Rural Communities of Kyrgyzstan