Christine Maxwell is an Internet content pioneer, best known as the creator and co-founder of Magellan, one of the first professionally curated online search/reference guides to Internet content. In 1992 she also created and then co-authored one of the first hard copy reference guides to the Internet: New Riders Official Internet Yellow Pages and The McKinley Internet Yellow Pages; both published by Macmillan Publishers in 1994 and 1995 respectively.
After Magellan was acquired by Excite, (a competing search engine) in 1996, she went on to co-found Chiliad: a software company involved in the advance of on-demand, massively scalable, intelligent mining of structured and unstructured data through the use of natural language search technologies. The firm's software was behind the data search technology used by the FBI's counterterrorism data warehouse.
One of nine children, siblings include her twin sister Isabel Maxwell, brothers Kevin Maxwell and Ian Maxwell, and youngest sister Ghislaine Maxwell. In 1986 she married Roger Malina of Berkeley, California. Sons Xavier and Yuri were born in 1988 and 1990 respectively, and daughter Giselle was born in 1991.
After completing her high schooling at Milham Ford Grammar School in Oxford, England in 1969, she entered Pitzer College, Claremont, California, from which she received the degree of Bachelor of Arts with a major in Latin American Studies and Sociology in May 1972.
In September 1973 she entered Mary Spencer Churchill College of Education near Oxford. She graduated in June 1974 with a Post Graduate Teaching Certificate. From September 1974 to June 1976 she was a middle school teacher at Shepherd’s Hill Middle School in Headington, Oxford.
In January 2013, she entered the graduate school of The University of Texas at Dallas.
Maxwell was an Editor for Pergamon Press Publishers in the early 70s.
In the late 70s, she became a school editor for A. Wheaton & Company in Exeter, England, during which time she published The Pergamon Dictionary of Perfect Spelling published by Pergamon Press Ltd. in 1977. This work was republished in the UK under the title Dictionary of Perfect Spelling by Barrington Stoke Publishers in 2005, and by Berlitz in 2007 under the title Spell it Right.
She is now Program Manager of Learning Technologies at The University of Texas at Dallas and is involved in Special Projects for Information Resources.
In 2011, she was appointed an IPv6 Fellow of the IPv6 Forum in recognition of her contributions to support the promotion, deployment, and technology advantages of version 6 around the world.
- Serving up the web,"http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Serving-up-the-web-3135936.php", SFGate - August 14, 1995.
- OnTheInternet: International Electronic Publication of the Internet Society, "http://www.isoc.org/oti/articles/0998/stokes.html"- September/October 1998. Maxwell's Silver Hammer: The Irresistable [sic], Irrepressible Christine Maxwell...an Interview with ISOC's VP of Membership by Mark Stokes
- "New Riders' official Internet yellow pages" by Christine Maxwell, Czeslaw Jan Grycz. New Riders Publishing, 1994.
- "New Riders Official Internet Yellow Pages, 1996"
- Internet Search Engine Companies Merging, "http://www.djc.com/news/tech/10011783.html", Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce - July 1, 1996.
- Company Overview of Chiliad, Inc."http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=7985205", Bloomberg Businessweek.
- Data Search Technology Used by FBI Makes Its Way to Enterprises by Brian Prince, posted 2009-04-29 in "eWeek"
- The Pergamon Dictionary of Perfect Spelling by Christine Maxwell, "http://www.worldcat.org/title/pergamon-oxford-dictionary-of-perfect-spelling/oclc/630918434/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true"
- The University of Texas at Dallas staff directory, "http://www.utdallas.edu/directory"
- Internet Society, 2002 Board of Trustees Election - Election Results, "http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/board-trustees/trustee-elections/2002/results"
- Santa Fe Institute, 1993 Annual report on scientific programs: A broad research program on the sciences of complexity, "http://www.osti.gov/scitech/servlets/purl/41287"
- International Center for Disability Resources on the Internet, "http://www.icdri.org/about_us.htm"
- Christine Maxwell, Leonardo/ISAST Advisory Board Member, "http://leonardo.info/rolodex/maxwell.christine.html"
- IPv6 Forum Fellows, IPv6 Forum Awards - Posted by : forum on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 05:12 PM, "http://www.ipv6forum.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=5"