Christopher J. Connors
|Christopher J. Connors|
|Member of the New Jersey Senate
from the 9th district
January 8, 2008
|Preceded by||Leonard T. Connors|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 9th district
January 9, 1990 – January 8, 2008
|Preceded by||John T. Hendrickson Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Daniel Van Pelt|
June 26, 1956 |
Ridgewood, New Jersey
|Residence||Lacey Township, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||Stockton State College
Rutgers University (M.P.A.)
Rutgers School of Law–Camden (J.D.)
|Website||Legislative web page|
Christopher J. Connors (born June 26, 1956) is a New Jersey Republican Party politician, who has served in the Senate since January 8, 2008, where he currently represents the 9th legislative district. He served in the General Assembly from 1989-2008, where he was the Assistant Majority Leader from 1992-95.
Born in Ridgewood, New Jersey on June 26, 1956, Connors received a B.S. degree in 1978 from Stockton State College (now Stockton University) in Business Administration, an M.P.A. in 1988 from Rutgers University in Public Administration and was awarded a J.D. in 1995 from the Rutgers School of Law - Camden in Camden.
Connors served on the Lacey Township Committee from 1985–90 and was Mayor of Lacey Township from 1986-89. Connors was Executive Director from 1988–89 and was Deputy Executive Director from 1982-88 of the New Jersey Commission on Capital Budgeting and Planning during the Administration of former Governor Thomas Kean.
Connors serves in the Senate on the Community and Urban Affairs Committee and the Law and Public Safety and Veterans' Affairs Committee. He served in the Assembly on the Homeland Security and State Preparedness and on the Judiciary Committees. He sponsored a law enacted in January 2000 requiring installation of ignition interlock devices in cars of repeat drunk driving offenders and of a 1998 law requiring criminal background checks for nurse aides and home personal care licensing applicants. He succeeded his father Leonard T. Connors, who served in the New Jersey Senate from 1982-2008.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 9th Legislative District for the 2014-15 Legislative Session are:
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2013|
|Republican||Christopher J. Connors (incumbent)||46,949||70.8|
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011|
|Republican||Christopher J. Connors (incumbent)||32,027||64.9|
|Democratic||Dorothy A. Ryan||17,320||35.1|
|New Jersey State Senate elections, 2007|
|Republican||Christopher J. Connors||35,504||62.3|
|Democratic||Russell K. Corby||21,524||37.7|
- Senator Connors' Legislative Website, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 21, 2008.
- Assembly Member Christopher J. Connors, Project Vote Smart. Accessed August 9, 2007.
- Previti, Emily. "Era ends today for Connors in Senate", The Press of Atlantic City, January 7, 2008. Accessed February 1, 2012. "Today marks the last legislative session for state Sen. Leonard T. Connors, who has held the seat for a quarter-century.... The 78-year-old will be succeeded by his son, Assemblyman Christopher Connors, R -Ocean, Burlington, Atlantic, who will be sworn in to his Senate seat..."
- Legislative Roster 2012-2013 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed February 1, 2012.
- "Official List Candidates for State Senate For GENERAL ELECTION 11/05/2015 Election" (PDF). Secretary of State of New Jersey. December 4, 2013. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2011 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 14, 2011. Accessed January 8, 2012.
- Official List Candidate Returns for State Senate For November 2007 General Election, New Jersey Department of State, December 3, 2007. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Senator Christoper Connors's Official Site
- Senator Connors' Legislative Website, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Senator Christopher J. Connors, Project Vote Smart
|New Jersey Senate|
Leonard T. Connors
|Member of the New Jersey Senate for the 9th District
January 8, 2008–present
|New Jersey General Assembly|
John T. Hendrickson Jr.
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 9th District
January 9, 1990–January 8, 2008
With: Jeffrey Moran, Brian E. Rumpf
Daniel Van Pelt