Kolb (left) and Max Dill.
July 31, 1874|
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
|Died||November 25, 1964
Hollywood, California, USA
|Years active||1916 to 1957|
|Spouse(s)||May Cloy (1917-?)
Mabel Kolb (1915-1964) (his death)
He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, the only child of second generation Austrian parents who owned a local meat company.
Kolb started out as one half of a vaudeville comedy team, Kolb and Dill, with Max Dill. They styled their act on the famous team of Weber and Fields. In addition to their stage work, they appeared in a series of short films and a feature length movie in 1917. Afterwards, Kolb made a return to vaudeville, and he only returned to the movies in the late 1930s.
He became famous for portraying the same type of character in many films, namely a politician or businessman. He is best remembered for his role as the grumpy father in the multi-Academy Awards nominated hit comedy film Merrily We Live (1938), the corrupt mayor in the comedy His Girl Friday (1940), and as Mr. Honeywell in the television sitcom My Little Margie (1952). Kolb played himself in his last movie appearance, Man of a Thousand Faces (1957), opposite Danny Beck (who played the late Max Dill).
Clarence Kolb died at age 90 of a stroke at the Orchard Gables Sanitarium at 1277 North Wilcox Avenue in Hollywood. He is interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.
- After the Thin Man (1936) (uncredited)
- The Toast of New York (1937)
- Portia on Trial (1937)
- Wells Fargo (1937)
- Gold Is Where You Find It (1938)
- Merrily We Live (1938)
- Give Me a Sailor (1938)
- Carefree (1938)
- It Could Happen to You (1939)
- Honolulu (1939)
- I Was a Convict (1939)
- Society Lawyer (1939)
- Good Girls Go to Paris (1939)
- Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (1939)
- Our Leading Citizen (1939)
- The Amazing Mr. Williams (1939)
- His Girl Friday (1940)
- Five Little Peppers at Home(1940)
- The Man Who Talked Too Much (1940)
- No Time for Comedy (1940)
- Tugboat Annie Sails Again (1940)
- Michael Shayne, Private Detective (1940)
- Caught in the Draft (1941)
- Nothing But The Truth (1941)
- The Night of January 16th (1941)
- You're in the Army Now (1941)
- Hellzapoppin' (1941)
- Bedtime Story (1941)
- Caught in the Draft (1941)
- True to the Army (1942)
- The Sky's the Limit (1943) (uncredited)
- The Falcon in Danger (1943)
- Irish Eyes Are Smiling (1944)
- Three Is a Family (1944)
- Road to Alcatraz (1945)
- The Pilgrim Lady (1947)
- Lost Honeymoon (1947)
- Fun on a Weekend (1947)
- The Fabulous Joe (1947)
- Christmas Eve (1947)
- Impact (1949)
- Adam's Rib (1949)
- The Rose Bowl Story (1952)
- Shake, Rattle & Rock! (1956)
- Man of a Thousand Faces (1957)
- "Clarence Kolb, Veteran Actor, Dies Here at 90." Los Angeles Times. Nov. 26, 1964. p. A 12.
- California Death Index, Name: Clarence W. Kolb, Birth Date: 07-31-1874, Sex: Male, Birth Place: Ohio, Death Place: Los Angeles (70), Death Date: 11-25-1964, SSN: 565-18-7770, Age: 90 yrs.
- Social Security Death Index, Name: Clarence Kolb, Birth: July 31, 1875 [sic-?], SSN: 565-18-7770, Issued: California, Death: Nov 1964, Last Residence: (California).