Mansell with the Sonus Quartet, playing in Union Chapel, London, 20 July 2009
|Birth name||Clinton Darryl Mansell|
|Born||7 January 1963|
|Origin||Coventry, England, UK|
|Genres||Alternative rock, electronic, industrial rock, classical|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, film score composer|
|Associated acts||Pop Will Eat Itself|
After Pop Will Eat Itself disbanded in 1996, Mansell was introduced to film scoring when director Darren Aronofsky hired him to score his debut film, Pi. Mansell then wrote the score for Aronofsky's next film, Requiem for a Dream, which has been well received. The film's primary composition "Lux Aeterna" has become extremely popular, appearing in a variety of advertisements, film trailers and YouTube videos.
Mansell was the lead singer and guitarist of Pop Will Eat Itself. When PWEI signed to Nothing Records, Mansell became close friends with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, and he performed backing vocals on the 1999 album The Fragile.
Mansell's score for Darren Aronofsky's π was followed up by his score for Aronofsky's next film, Requiem for a Dream, which became a cult hit. Since their first collaboration in 1996, Mansell has composed the music to every Aronofsky film.
Other notable achievements include the theme for the film The Hole, the music for the pilot episode of CSI: NY, and the score for Aronofsky's later films The Fountain, (which was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score in 2006), and The Wrestler. Mansell has also contributed the score to HBO's Voyeur and Aronofsky's Black Swan 
The trailer for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers contained a re-arranged version of the track "Lux Aeterna", using a full orchestra and choir. The piece, named "Requiem for a Tower", was recorded especially for the trailer. The orchestration was arranged by Simone Benyacar, Dan Nielsen, and Veigar Margeirsson.
"Lux Aeterna" has since become popular, with both the original and the "Requiem for a Tower" version having appeared in a wide variety of advertisements and trailers, including the trailer for the Red Sox–Yankees games in the 2007 Major League Baseball season, and trailers for the films Zathura, The Da Vinci Code, Sunshine, Babylon A.D. and the TV series Lost and Top Gear. It was also used on Sky Sports News and as the theme for Soccer Saturday from 2007–2009. In 2006, the theme was used in EuroSport LIVE trailers. The theme was also used by America's Got Talent as an introduction of the judges before being changed slightly. The new variant is now a regular piece on the show.
Individual awards and nominations
- Pete Paphides Clint Mansell: pop ate itself, and out popped Hollywood The Times Retrieved 14 May 2010
- Requiem for a Dream – Clint Mansell AllMusic Retrieved 31 January 2011
- Requiem for a Tower Dream – Single iTunes
- The Da Vinci Code Trailer Retrieved 31 January 2011
- Sundance 2009 Composers – Clint Mansell BMI Retrieved 31 January 2011
- Clint Mansell: Aronofsky, Reznor and Me, Part One
- Bray, Elisa (28 January 2011) Duo Darren Aronofsky and Clint Mansell score on pointes The Independent Retrieved 31 January 2011
- 64th Golden Globe Awards nominations
- McNulty, Bernadette (20 January 2011) Clint Mansell interview for Black Swan soundtrack
- The Iron Lady Movie official homepage
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Cinematic Trailer