Parish church of St Thomas à Becket
Compton Valence shown within Dorset
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
Compton Valence is a small village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It lies within the West Dorset administrative district, approximately 7 miles (11 km) west of the county town Dorchester. It is sited at the head of a narrow valley, formed by a small tributary of the River Frome, and is surrounded by the hills of the Dorset Downs, which has led to it having been described as "a pocket of habitation in the downs." Dorset County Council estimate that in 2013 the population of the parish was 50.
The locality is known to geologists for the 'Compton Valence Dome', arising from the local updoming of the chalk strata. The core of this geological structure has been eroded to reveal the older underlying Middle Jurassic mudstones. It lies astride the Wynford Fault and is thought to arise from a complex intersection of faults in the area.
A Vision of Britain Through Time stated during the early 20th century, "COMPTON-VALLENCE, or East Compton, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 2½ miles SW of Grimstone and Frampton r. station, and 6½ WNW of Dorchester. It has a post office, of the name of Compton-Vallence, under Dorchester. Acres, 1, 296. Real property, £1, 498. Pop., 136. Houses, 26. The property is all in one estate. diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, R. Williams, Esq. The church is an edifice of 1840, in the later English style, after designs by Ferrey."
- "Parish Population Data". Dorset County Council. 20 January 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Gant, R., Dorset Villages, Hale, 1980, p138 ISBN 0 7091 8135 3
- "Compton Valence, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 1: West (1952), pp. 104-105". University of London & History of Parliament Trust. 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Barton et al. 2011 Geology of south Dorset and south-east Devon and its World Heritage Coast. Special memoir of the British Geological Survey. Sheets 328, 341/2, 342/3 and parts of 326/340, 327, 329 and 339 (England and Wales)
- Snowdrops signal the first stirrings of spring The Independent. Retrieved May 2nd 2012
- Dorset Life. Retrieved 2 May 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Compton Valence.|