Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge
|Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge|
|Coordinates||Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Carries||Cross Bay Boulevard|
|Locale||Broad Channel and Rockaway Peninsula, in New York City|
|Maintained by||MTA Bridges and Tunnels|
|Total length||3,000 feet (910 m)|
|Longest span||275 feet (84 m)|
|Clearance below||55 feet (17 m)|
|Opened||May 28, 1970|
|Daily traffic||21,240 (2010)|
|Toll||$4.00 (cash); $2.08 (New York State E-ZPass)|
The Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge (originally Cross Bay Bridge or Cross Bay Parkway Bridge) in New York City, is a toll bridge that carries Cross Bay Boulevard from Broad Channel in Jamaica Bay to the Rockaway Peninsula, and is located in Queens.
Opened on June 3, 1939, the original bridge in this location was designed by engineering firm Madigan-Hyland and built on behalf of the New York City Parkway Authority by contractor J. Rich Steers, Inc., before the authority was merged into the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority. The bridge was a part of a program to develop Jamaica Bay as a recreational area instead of an industrial port. The 1939 bridge was a low-level bascule bridge.
Reconstructed and opened to traffic on May 28, 1970, the new bridge is a high level fixed bridge carrying six traffic lanes and a sidewalk on the west side. This let boats pass under without delays to lift the drawbridge. The bridge is owned by New York Cityand operated by the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, an affiliate agency of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
Registered Rockaway and Broad Channel residents with E-ZPass receive toll rebates on this bridge. Until 2010, Rockaways and Broad Channel residents could cross the bridge for free. Residents of Broad Channel and the Rockaways who have an E-ZPass pay $1.19 per crossing if they cross up to twice per day, but are not charged if they cross more than twice in 24 hours. The new toll for area residents was part of a series of Metropolitan Transportation Authority budget cuts. They pay $1.62 per trip with tokens.
Starting on March 22, 2015, the cash tolls $4.00 per car or $3.25 per motorcycle. E‑ZPass users with transponders issued by the New York E‑ZPass Customer Service Center pay $2.08 per car or $1.73 per motorcycle. 
- "2008 Traffic Data Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. Appendix C. Retrieved February 27, 2010.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Santos, Fernanda (April 9, 2010). "For Whom the Bridge Toll Ends a Trip That's Free". The New York Times. Retrieved April 10, 2010.
There is another crossing on the northern end of Broad Channel, the Joseph P. Addabbo Memorial Bridge, which connects the island to the Howard Beach section of Queens<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Rockaway: Another Link". The New York Times. June 3, 1939. Retrieved February 25, 2010.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Fowle, Farnsworth (May 29, 1970). "Cross Bay Parkway Bridge Is Dedicated". The New York Times. Retrieved April 10, 2010.
The six-lane, $26-million Cross Bay Bridge linking Broad Channel Island in Jamaica Bay with the Rockaway Peninsula was dedicated yesterday in time for the Memorial Day weekend rush.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Cross Bay Bridge Toll Rebate Change July 23". MTA Bridges and Tunnels. Retrieved August 24, 2010.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Discount Programs from MTA Bridges and Tunnels". MTA Bridges and Tunnels. Retrieved April 10, 2010.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Toll Information". MTA Bridges & Tunnels. Retrieved February 25, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
Media related to Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge at Wikimedia Commons
- Cross Bay Bridge (MTA Official Site)
- Cross Bay Bridge @ NYCROADS.com
- Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge at StructuraeLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 22: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).