Dan Baker (PA announcer)
Dan Baker (born September 22, 1946) is an American public address announcer best known for many years as the voice of Veterans Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, and Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Baker has been the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies since 1972 and Philadelphia Eagles from 1985 to 2014. He has served as a PA voice for five World Series (1980, 1983, 1993, 2008 and 2009), two Major League Baseball All Star Games (1976 and 1996), and three NFC Championship Games (2002, 2003, and 2004).
Though the Phillies and Eagles left Veterans Stadium for new venues (the Eagles to Lincoln Financial Field in 2003 and the Phillies to Citizens Bank Park in 2004), Baker remained the PA announcer for both teams. He also serves as PA announcer for the Army-Navy Game when it is played in Philadelphia as well as Drexel University Dragons men's basketball.
After the 2009 retirement of the New York Yankees' Bob Sheppard, who was also PA announcer for the Eagles' biggest rival, New York Giants, Baker became the longest-tenured PA announcer in Major League Baseball.
Between Baker and former Chicago Cubs' public address announcer Pat Pieper, the 2016 MLB season will mark 100 consecutive seasons that one of them has been announcing games. Pieper from 1916-1974 and Baker from 1972-present. The last game that was played without Pieper or Baker announcing games, was the 1915 World Series on October 13, 1915.
Baker was the radio announcer for Drexel University Dragons men's basketball on WNTP 990 AM from 1997-2012, after which he retired and became the team's public address announcer. Before that, he broadcast Philadelphia BIG 5 Basketball games for 21 years while additionally serving as its executive director from 1981-96. Baker was named to the Big 5 Hall of Fame in 1997 and was inducted into the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame in 2012.
Baker co-hosts a radio show on WBCB (AM) 1490 called "Bull Session" with former Philadelphia Phillies slugger Greg Luzinski, for whom the show is named after. The show airs at 6:00 pm on Monday nights and each week they bring in a special guest, usually a current or retired player. 
Baker reprises his role as the Philadelphia Phillies PA announcer for select Phillies away games at multiple venues that comprise a chain of Philadelphia area sports bars. The events are billed as "Summer Nights with Dan Baker". At these appearances, Baker announces the game over the sports bar's PA system in exactly the same fashion as he would if he was announcing an actual Phillies home game.
On May 7, 2014, the Philadelphia Eagles announced that Baker would no longer serve as the public address announcer for the Eagles, citing that they decided to make a change in the role. Baker will continue to be the public address announcer for the Phillies.
On September 16, 2015, XFINITY Live! announced that Baker would be the in-house public address announcer for Philadelphia Eagles games. Baker's duties are similar to those he had as the public address announcer for the Eagles, which include energizing the crowd with his signature calls. For the 2015 season, Baker is scheduled to appear at 12 of the 16 Eagles games and act as the public address announcer for the entire state-of-the-art venue which holds up to 5,000 fans.
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1/Identifiers at line 47: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Jensen, Mike (October 18, 2010). "One pronounced voice". Philadelphia Inquirer.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Untitled Document". www.danbakervoice.com. Retrieved 2015-12-29.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Bull Session". Retrieved 2015-10-06.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Summer Nights at the Ballpark with Dan Baker".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Eagles to replace public address announcer Dan Baker".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Dan Baker to Become In-House PA Announcer for Birds' Games at XFINITY Live!". Philadelphia Sports Nation News. Retrieved 2015-10-06.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Narducci, Marc. "His part-time jobs are full-time passions Dan Baker, public address announcer for the Phillies and Eagles, lives his lifelong dream, calling the action for 32 years.", The Philadelphia Inquirer, June 1, 2003. Accessed October 25, 2015. "West Deptford resident Dan Baker could probably retire now if he had a nickel for every time somebody told him they would love to have his part-time jobs. Then again, with these jobs, why would Baker or anybody else want to retire?"
- "Staff Directory: Dan Baker". Drexel Dragons. Retrieved 15 May 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- on YouTube YouTube video of the final 7th-inning stretch at Veterans Stadium, where Take Me Out to the Ballgame, played by organist Paul Richardson is introduced by Baker.