|Senior Advisor to the President|
January 25, 2013 – March 6, 2015
|Preceded by||David Plouffe|
|Succeeded by||Shailagh Murray|
|White House Director of Communications|
November 30, 2009 – January 25, 2013
|Preceded by||Anita Dunn|
|Succeeded by||Jennifer Palmieri|
|Born||Howard Daniel Pfeiffer
December 24, 1975
Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Sarah Elizabeth Feinberg (2006–2011)|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University|
Howard Daniel "Dan" Pfeiffer (born December 24, 1975) is a former Senior Advisor to U.S. President Barack Obama for Strategy and Communications. Pfeiffer was a long-time aide to Barack Obama, serving in various press and communications roles throughout his 2008 campaign for the Presidency, on his presidential transition team, and in the Obama White House.
Early life and career
Pfeiffer was born in Wilmington, Delaware, the son of Vivian Lear (née Strange), a learning specialist, and Gary Malick Pfeiffer, a financial officer for DuPont. He graduated magna cum laude from Georgetown University. He began his career in politics working as a spokesman for the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) initiative of the Clinton Administration. In 2000 he joined the communications department of Vice President Al Gore's campaign for the Presidency.
After the 2000 presidential election, he went to work for the Democratic Governors Association, and later worked for Senators Tim Johnson, Tom Daschle, and Evan Bayh. Pfeiffer also served briefly as communications director for Evan Bayh's presidential exploratory committee.
In 2007, Pfeiffer was recruited to join the Obama presidential campaign by Pete Rouse – who had previously hired him in the office of Senator Tom Daschle when Rouse was serving as Daschle's Chief of Staff. Pfeiffer's first role was Senator Obama's travelling press secretary. He was later promoted to communications director.
Obama White House
After the 2008 presidential election, Pfeiffer ran the communications office for the Obama-Biden Transition team and was then appointed Deputy White House Communications Director after the inauguration of Barack Obama. Less than a year later, after the departure of Anita Dunn, Pfeiffer was named White House Communications Director. He remained in the role for the entire first term of the Obama presidency.
At the start of President Obama's second term, Pfeiffer was promoted to Senior Advisor for Strategy and Communications, taking over most of the portfolio previously managed in the White House by David Axelrod and David Plouffe. Pfeiffer left the White House in March 2015.
On July 16, 2006, Pfeiffer married Sarah Elizabeth Feinberg, a senior advisor and spokeswoman for Obama's former Chief of Staff, and current Mayor of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel. In 2011, Pfeiffer and Feinberg separated.
- "Biography: Howard Daniel Pfeiffer". LegiStorm. Retrieved January 27, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Pfeiffer takes over for Dunn". Retrieved 2009-12-03.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Rutenberg, Jim. "Times Topics, People". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-10-24.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Sarah Feinberg, H. Daniel Pfeiffer". The New York Times. 2006-07-16. Retrieved 2010-04-30.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Who's who in Finance and Industry". google.ca. Retrieved 19 September 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "On-line Obituary For Elaine Matthews Strange". memorialobituaries.com. Retrieved 19 September 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Hulse, Carl (2006-05-31). "A Build-a-Protest Approach to Immigration". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-11-07.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Dan Pfeiffer: The Next White House Communications Boss". Time (magazine). 2009-11-13. Retrieved 2015-04-01.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Dan Pfeiffer and Sarah Feinberg separate; Debra Messing; Chaz Bono Washington Post Achieved 12/20/2011 04:05 PM ET
- Daniel Pfeiffer collected news and commentary at The Washington Post
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Daniel Pfeiffer collected news and commentary at The New York Times
|White House Director of Communications
|Senior Advisor to the President
|This biographical article related to politics in the United States is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|