April 26, 1926 |
New York City, New York
|Residence||Rye, New York|
|Education||Trinity College, Harvard University|
|Known for||Early investor in Berkshire Hathaway|
|Net worth|| US $ 1.76 billion
|Children||Robert, William, Alice|
He was born to a Jewish family in New York City, the son of Esther Garfunkel and Benjamin Gottesman. He has two siblings, Milton and Alice. He is a nephew of American pulp-paper merchant, financier and philanthropist Samuel Gottesman.
Gottesman founded the investment advisory firm First Manhattan in 1964. He began a friendship with Warren Buffett in 1962. He was an early investor in Berkshire Hathaway and today owns 16,100 shares, worth $3.5 billion in 2015. He joined the Berkshire Hathaway board of directors in 2003. In 2008, Gottesman donated $25 million to the Yeshiva University Medical School. This gift was used to form the Ruth L. and David S. Gottesman Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, which operates as a stem cell research center.
Gottesman lives in Rye, New York with his wife, Ruth, to whom he has been married for over sixty years. Ruth has a master's degree in Developmental Education and a Ed.D. in Human Cognition and Learning in the area of Educational Psychology both from Teachers College at Columbia University. Together, they have three children and seven grandchildren. He is an avid swimmer.
- "The World's Billionaires (2010): #655 David Gottesman". Forbes. March 3, 2010.
Net worth: $1.5 billion
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - David Gottesman March 2015
- "BRK.A on CNBC". CNBC. October 18, 2013.
Net worth: $3.0 billion
- New York Times: "Paid Notice: Deaths GOTTESMAN, ESTHER" October 05, 1997
- Forbes Israel: Jewish Billionaires - Profile of David Gottesman April 14, 2013 (in Hebrew)
- First Manhattan Co., Business Week
- "About the Institute | Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine", Einstein.yu.edu Retrieved on December 16, 2014.
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine Faculty Profile
- Inside Philanthropy Magazine: "The Gottesmans: A Billionaire Family That Supports Jewish Organizations" by AuthorAde Adeniji April 19, 2016
- My Rye: Rye People: David Gottesman