|The Very Reverend
|Dean of St Paul's|
|Diocese||Diocese of London|
|In office||2012 - present|
|Other posts||Dean of Bradford|
|Born||15 September 1954|
|Spouse||Hilary née Powell|
|Alma mater||King's College London|
Early life and education
David Ison, son of Richard Lea Ison, was educated at the University of Leicester (BA 1976), the University of Nottingham (BA 1978) and St John's College, Nottingham (Diploma of Biblical Studies 1979). He undertook further studies in church history at King's College London where his 1984 PhD was entitled "The Constantinian Oration to the saints : authorship and background".
Ison was ordained as a priest in 1980. He began his ordained ministry as a curate at St Nicholas and St Luke's Deptford. From 1985 to 1988 he was a tutor at the Church Army Training College before being appointed vicar of St Philip's Potters Green in the West Midlands until 1993. Later, he was the officer for Continuing Ministerial Education in the Diocese of Exeter. He is a supporter of same-sex marriage.
On 5 June 2012, Ison led the prayers at the service of thanksgiving marking the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.
In 1977, Ison married Hilary Margaret Powell, who is also now ordained. They have two sons and two daughters.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1987-88, Lambeth, Church House, 1975 ISBN 0-7151-8066-5.
- "Dr David Ison, new Dean of St Paul's, backs gay marriage", The Telegraph
- Diocese of Bradford website
- Who's Who in 2008, London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8.
- No.10 – Dean of St Paul's
- "Appointment of David Ison as Dean of St Paul's", St Paul's Cathedral website
|Church of England titles|
Christopher David Hancock
|Dean of Bradford
|Dean of St Paul's