|9th United States Secretary of Veterans Affairs|
February 14, 2017
|Preceded by||Robert A. McDonald|
|Under Secretary of Veterans Affairs for Health|
July 6, 2015 – January 20, 2017
|Born||David Jonathon Shulkin
June 22, 1959
Fort Sheridan, IL, U.S.
|Education||Hampshire College (BA)
Drexel University (MD)
David Shulkin MD is the current United States Secretary of Veterans Affairs since February 14, 2017. After being nominated by Donald Trump, he was unanimously confirmed by the Senate on February 13, 2017. He previously served as Under Secretary of Health for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs under President Obama from 2015 to 2017. The Undersecretary of health is the chief executive of the nations largest integrated health care system.
Shulkin used to be the President and Chief Executive Officer of Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. He also served as President of Morristown Medical Center and the Atlantic Health System accountable Care Organization. He received a BA from Hampshire College in 1982, and a MD degree from Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1986; he then did his internship at Yale School of Medicine, and his residency and fellowship in General Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Presbyterian Medical Center.
He has been Chief Medical Officer of the University of Pennsylvania Health System, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Temple University Hospital, and the Medical College of Pennsylvania Hospital.
His other academic positions have included Chairman of Medicine and Vice Dean at Drexel University College of Medicine, and Professor of Medicine at Albert Einstein School of Medicine. Shulkin has been the editor of Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management and Hospital Physician, and has been on the editorial boards of several journals, including Journal of the American Medical Association. He founded and served as the Chairman and CEO of DoctorQuality, Inc a consumer-oriented information service.
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians
- Senior Fellow at the Leonard Davis Institute in Health Economics at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar at the University of Pennsylvania.
- National Health Policy Fellow, U.S. Senate Committee on Aging
- Named one of the country's top Health care leaders for the next century by Modern Healthcare,
- Ranked as International Leader in Health Care Award by the Healthcare Forum.
- Named One of the Hundred Most Powerful in Healthcare (ranked #86) by Modern Healthcare (2008).
- Questions Patients Need to Ask by David J. Shulkin, M.D. (Paperback - Nov 24, 2008)
- He has also written 25 peer-reviewed journal articles, and numerous other professional publications.
- Rousselle, Christine (2017-02-13), David Shulkin Confirmed As VA Secretary, retrieved 2017-03-18<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- . Healthcare Leaders for the Next Century"- Modern Healthcare September 15, 1997
- Emerging Leaders"- Healthcare Forum Journal- July/August 1998
- "Recognizing Quality"- Disease Management Protocols at Core of A Pennsylvania Hospital's Award Winning Approach".- Modern Healthcare February 2, 1998
- "What Quality Measurements Miss"- Managed Care Interface March 1997.
- "Ten Ways Technology Can Make You Money" - TIME Magazine (Guide to Personal Technology)- April 1998