The Discovery Islands are the islands in the Discovery Passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland in British Columbia. These islands are sometimes considered to be part of the Northern Gulf Islands.
The Discovery Passage starts where the Strait of Georgia narrows between Quadra Island and Vancouver Island and continues north until it widens somewhat into the Johnstone Strait. The complex geography of the area can make it difficult to determine when travelling by boat if a sighted coastline belongs to the mainland, Vancouver Island, or one of the Discovery Islands.
Most of these islands have very few residents. The primary attraction to visitors is the salmon fishing and there are numerous fishing lodges. Only Quadra Island and Cortes Island have ferry service. The remainder are served by private boat or float plane.
The Discovery Islands are all located within the Strathcona Regional District, except for a few of the southernmost, such as Hernando Island and Savary Island, which are in the Powell River Regional District. The larger islands within the Discovery Islands are (roughly from west to east, then north to south, with some of the smaller islands indicated next to a nearby larger island):
- Hardwicke Island (north: Poyntz, Seymour, Murray; west: Yorke; south: Helmcken)
- West Thurlow Island
- East Thurlow Island (west: Walkem Islands; south: Tum)
- Sonora Island (northwest: Hardinge, Block)
- Stuart Island
- Quadra Island (north: Okis Islands)
- Maurelle Island
- Read Island (east: Hill Island, Penn Islands)
- Rendezvous Islands
- West Redonda Island (south: Mink, Kinghorn, and the Martin Islands; north: Elizabeth)
- East Redonda Island (south: Melville, Morgan, Eveleigh, Otter, and the William Islands; north: Double, Channel)
- Marina Island
- Cortes Island (west: Subtle Islands)
- Twin Islands
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Discovery Islands.|
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.