East Londonderry (UK Parliament constituency)
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
for the House of Commons
Boundary of East Londonderry in Northern Ireland 1995–2008.
|Districts of Northern Ireland||Coleraine, Limavady|
|Electorate||65,233 (March 2011)|
|Member of parliament||Gregory Campbell (DUP)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||Northern Ireland|
The seat was created in boundary changes in 1983, as part of an expansion of Northern Ireland's constituencies from 12 to 17, and was predominantly made up from the old Londonderry constituency. From further revisions in 1995 (when it lost parts of the district of Magherafelt to the Mid Ulster constituency), and until the 2008 revision, it covered exactly the same area as the districts of Coleraine and Limavady. The inclusion of all of Coleraine Borough means that part of the East Londonderry constituency is actually in County Antrim.
- The entire local government districts of Limavady and Coleraine.
- Banagher, and Claudy, from the Derry district.
The constituency has a unionist majority, though in many elections nationalists have polled close to 35% of the vote. The main interest in elections has been the contest between the Ulster Unionist Party and the Democratic Unionist Party. The UUP were normally ahead of the DUP until the 2001 general election when the DUP finally overtook them.
The 2001 election was seen at a province wide level as a battle over the Belfast Agreement with the DUP opposed to it and most of the UUP in favour, however ironically this situation was seemingly reversed in East Londonderry, where the sitting Ulster Unionist MP, William Ross, was completely opposed to all involvement with the Agreement and its institutions, whilst the DUP candidate, Gregory Campbell, was a minister in the Executive set up by the Agreement. Many commentators joked that the DUP's gain meant that East Londonderry now had a more pro-Agreement MP than before.
For the history of the equivalent constituency prior to 1983, please see Londonderry.
Members of Parliament
The Member of Parliament since the 2001 general election is Gregory Campbell of the Democratic Unionist Party. In that election he defeated William Ross of the Ulster Unionist Party who had represented East Londonderry since 1983 and its predecessor seat of Londonderry between 1974 and 1983.
|1983||William Ross||Ulster Unionist|
|2001||Gregory Campbell||Democratic Unionist|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: East Londonderry |
|Sinn Féin||Caoimhe Archibald||4,859||12.8||-2.4|
|NI Conservatives||Liz St Clair-Legge||422||1.2||+1.2|
|General Election 2010: East Londonderry|
|Sinn Féin||Cathal Ó hOisín||6,742||19.3||+1.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: East Londonderry|
|Sinn Féin||Billy Leonard||5,709||16.1||+0.5|
|General Election 2001: East Londonderry|
|Sinn Féin||Francie Brolly||6,221||15.6||+6.5|
|DUP gain from UUP||Swing|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: East Londonderry|
|Sinn Féin||Malachy O'Kane||3,463||9.0||+5.6|
|NI Conservatives||James Holmes||436||1.0||−2.4|
|Natural Law||Clare Gallen||100||0.26||N/A|
|National Democrats||Ian Anderson||81||0.21||N/A|
1997 changes are compared to the notional figures from 1992.
|Notional 1992 UK General Election Result : East Londonderry|
|General Election 1992: East Londonderry|
|Sinn Féin||Pauline Davey-Kennedy||5,320||10.1|
|NI Conservatives||Alan Elder||1,589||3.0||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: East Londonderry|
|Sinn Féin||John Davey||5,464||11.2|
|Workers' Party||Francie Donnelly||935||1.9|
|East Londonderry by-election, 1986|
|"For the Anglo-Irish Agreement"||"Peter Barry"||2,001||6.1||N/A|
|General Election 1983: East Londonderry|
|Sinn Féin||John Davey||7,073||13.8||N/A|
|Workers' Party||Francie Donnelly||819||1.6||N/A|
|UUP win (new seat)|
- OPSI SI
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "L" (part 4)[self-published source][better source needed]
- election result http://www.eoni.org.uk/Elections/Election-results-and-statistics/Election-results-and-statistics-2003-onwards/Elections-2015/UK-Parliamentary-Election-Results/UK-Parliamentary-Election-Result-Belfast-East-(5) 23Aug15
- "Member of Parliament for East Londonderry". YourNextMP. Retrieved 31 January 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Cllr William McCandless selected as Ulster Unionist Westminster candidate for East Londonderry". Ulster Unionist Party. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 31 May 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Londonderry Statement of Persons Nominated Elections Office of Northern Ireland
- "BBC Election '97". bbc.co.uk. 1997. Archived from the original on 5 December 2004.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>