Cover of the first manga volume
|Written by||Seiji Matsuyama|
|Published by||Akita Shoten|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Champion|
|Original run||2001 – 2006|
|Original video animation|
|Eiken Eikenbu yori Ai wo Komete|
|Directed by||Kiyotaka Ohata (Part 1 only), Alan Smithee (Part 2 only)|
|Produced by||Atsushi Moriyama, Nobuhiro Osawa, Yuji Matsukura|
|Written by||Tomoyasu Okubo|
|Music by||Sho Goshima (Soft House Uno)|
|Released||June 25, 2003 – June 23, 2004|
Eiken (Japanese: エイケン?) is a fanservice-themed manga and anime series created by Seiji Matsuyama. The story depicts the life of schoolboy Densuke Mifune after he is forced into the mysterious Eiken Club, which is populated only by women, several of whom have enormous breasts.
The manga series ran for eighteen volumes, and additionally included a series guidebook. A number of radio drama episodes and a two episode OVA (the latter roughly based on a volume 3 storyline) have been produced.
The first twelve manga volumes have been released in North America. The first three volumes were rated 16+, while subsequent volumes were rated 18+.
- Chiharu Shinonome (東雲 千春 Shinonome Chiharu?)
- The red-headed Chiharu is considered one of the most attractive girls at Zashono Academy. Her breasts initially measure at 88cm (F-cup) and progresses throughout the series to beyond 100 cm. She's shy around boys, because she came from an all-girls school.
- Densuke Mifune (三船 伝助 Mifune Densuke?)
- The protagonist. A plain boy no one seems to notice, Densuke was forced into the Eiken Club after an accidental run-in with Chiharu, whom he develops a crush on. He eventually accepts his place in the club, despite being tormented by Kirika and the other mishaps that befall him, i.e. being beaten, violently crushed (Kirika, Yuriko) or electrocuted (Kyoko) by other members. Densuke is frequently forced to cross-dress by Kirika, a hobby of hers.
- Kirika Misono (御園 霧香 Misono Kirika?)
- Not much is known about Kirika, the purple-haired amazon that runs the Eiken Club, and has a 99 cm (G-cup) bust. She likes putting Densuke in awkward situations for her amusement and loves sucking things that look like phallic symbols; she doesn't wear underwear.
- Komoe Harumachi (春町 小萌 Harumachi Komoe?)
- The pink-haired Komoe is the youngest member of the Eiken Club at 11 years old, but also the most well-endowed, with an 111 cm bustline. Komoe is very clumsy, but always striving to do her best. Her clumsy mistakes often leave her exposed, and she has a habit of accidentally hurting and squashing Densuke with her breasts when falling on him.
- Grace Lin (グレース＝鈴 Gurēsu Rin?)
- Voiced by: Touko Itou (Japanese), Mona Marshall (English)
- Grace is a blonde-haired British girl who was born and grew up in China. She comes from a fortune-tellers' family and her father is a successful world-class enterpriser, also she is also very good at acrobatics. She seems to have a bit of feeling for Densuke as in the original manga, her words with Densuke in the speech bubbles are often ended with love-hearts. She has a 77cm (A-cup) bust.
- Kyoko Morooka (諸岡 京子 Morōka Kyōko?)
- Kyoko is the small blue-haired girl who runs the science division of the Eiken Club, and would seem to be the second-in-command of the club. Despite her age, she looks a lot younger than she really is. She has a 55 cm bust. She often hurts Densuke with her various inventions (rockets, electrocuters).
- Yuriko Shinonome (東雲 百合子 Shinonome Yuriko?)
- Voiced by: Emi Yabusaki (Japanese), Jessica Gee (English)
- Chiharu's energetic sister, she looks like a short-haired cheekier version of Chiharu. Despite being fully aware of Densuke and Chiharu's feelings for each other, Yuriko likes trying to get between them, most often attempted by seducing Densuke with her toned runner's butt. She likes rubbing her sister's breasts to tease her because of her own lack of giant breasts, as she only has a 73cm (A-cup) bust.
- Advisory Teacher (顧問の先生 Komon no Sensei?)
- Voiced by: Chiemi Ishimatsu (Japanese), Kathy Keller (English)
- Sensei is never named, though she is a teacher from Zashono Academy, she often laments the fact she always seems to go unnoticed by her students and peers, not to mention the fact that they never seem to remember her name. She has bright green hair and an 85cm (C-cup) bust.
- Teddy (くまちゃん Kuma-chan?)
- Teddy is a very shy young girl, who wears a giant bear suit most the time. She has an older sister, who also wears a similar suit.
- Miharu Shinonome (東雲 美八留 Shinonome Miharu?)
- Voiced by: Jun Shikano
- Chiharu's cousin, who also has a crush on Densuke. Her timetable always seems to be occupied by many part-time jobs. Densuke eventually finds out that she is secretly funding detectives who promised to find her long-lost father who left almost without a word after the divorce (due to the bankruptcy of his factory). She has an 84cm (C-cup) bust.
- Cho Ginten (銀天 蝶 Ginten Cho?)
- She is head of Zashono Academy's Committee of Student Accountants. She had mysteriously returned to the academy over a two year span with an immediate action of carrying out her own budget plan: to forcefully cancel all the activities of all the clubs in the academy, despite all the dirty tricks she has in mind.
- Hikaru Daizenji (大善寺 光 Daizenji Hikaru?)
- The ex-head of the Supernatural Club in Zashono Academy, a slim and weedy girl whose body is dotted with bandages from the countless bruises and wounds caused by falling due to fainting resulted by her anemia.
- Keiko Shinonome (東雲 京子 Shinonome Keiko?)
- The mother of the Shinonome family, and also possessor of the largest bust size, measuring at 123.5cm (K-cup); She says they were similar in size to Chiharu's when she was her age.
- Mikito Shinonome (東雲 三紀斗 Shinonome Mikito?)
- The younger brother of Chiharu. He first appears pretending to be Chiharu in order to test Densuke. He is practically Chiharu's twin, and it is hinted that he is interested in Densuke, whether that is true or not, is not known.
- Shima Kurosawa (黒沢 志麻 Kurosawa Shima?)
- He is the champion of the previous academy tournament who has returned from America to win the heart of Chiharu Shinonome. He is aware of Densuke's feelings for her, and feels that competition is the only way to decide who should get the girl.
Eiken received crushing criticism in the United States. It has been accused of being "obscene" and "lacking substance". Jason Thompson gave the manga a zero-star rating in his review of the series in his Manga: The Complete Guide, calling it "Actual pornography disguised as romantic comedy pseudo-pornography".
Stig Hogset gave the anime a one-star review on THEM Anime reviews, calling it "one of the most exploitative, demeaning anime titles I have ever seen". He went on say that "Eiken is like an hour-long nightmare of sexual innuendo of the creepy kind... you'll never find a bigger collection of 'wrong' anywhere else."
- Manga: The Complete Guide, page 93
- "THEM Anime Reviews 4.0 - Eiken". themanime.org. Retrieved 13 July 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Beveridge, Chris (December 29, 2004). "Eiken". mania.com. Archived from the original on 5 July 2009. Retrieved 13 July 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Chavez, Eduardo M. (August 18, 2005). "Eiken Vol. #01". mania.com. Archived from the original on 15 February 2009. Retrieved 13 July 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>