|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Mayor||Joachim Eisenkolb|
|• Total||24.87 km2 (9.60 sq mi)|
|• Density||370/km2 (950/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||0731, 07308|
- Thalfingen: 4 211 residents, 8.83 km²
- Oberelchingen: 3 024 residents, 7.31 km²
- Unterelchingen: 2 863 residents, 8.76 km²
In 1294, Elchingen (today: Unterelchingen) was sold by Konrad of Plochingen to the Cistercian monastery of Salem. Unterelchingen stayed in its property until the secularization in 1802. Unterelchingen never was in possession of the Monastery of Elchingen. In 1803, Ober-, Unterelchingen and Thalfingen became bavarian, due to the Principal Decree of the Imperial Deputation.
The Benedictine monastery of Elchingen was founded at the beginning of the 12th century. In 1395 all authentic documents were destroyed in a fire. So the probable consecration date (15 August 1128) cannot be proven.
Elchingen became famous through the Battle of Elchingen: on 14 October 1805 the Napoleonic troops under the command of Marshal Michel Ney defeated the Austrians. One day later the siege of Ulm began, after which Karl Mack von Leiberich finally had to capitulate. In 1806 Napoleon conferred the title of Duc d'Elchingen on Marshal Ney and the name of Elchingen was engraved on the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.
For the region the Napoleonic victory meant the end of the Austrian supremacy which led to a re-organization of the area of Württemberg and Bavaria.
Today's municipality of Elchingen is the result of the reorganization of Bavaria on 1 May 1978 through the integration of Thalfingen, Oberelchingen and Unterelchingen.
Elchingen also lies on the train line between Ulm and Aalen, the so-called Brenzbahn.
- Franz Willbold: Napoleons Feldzug um Ulm. Die Schlacht von Elchingen 1805 ISBN 3-7995-8027-1
- Alfred Krauss: 1805 – Der Feldzug von Ulm. Vienna 1912 (Maps from this at napoleon-online.de: Battle near Elchingen und Situation at the evening of 14 October)
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). 31 December 2013.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kloster Elchingen.|