Eric Bertrand Bailly
Bailly at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations
|Full name||Eric Bertrand Bailly|
|Date of birth||12 April 1994|
|Place of birth||Bingerville, Ivory Coast|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 March 2016.
Born in Bingerville, Bailly joined RCD Espanyol's youth system in December 2011, aged 17. He only received a work permit in October of the following year, and made his senior debuts in the 2013–14 campaign with the reserves, in Segunda División B.
On 5 October 2014 Bailly made his first-team – and La Liga – debut, coming on as a late substitute in a 2–0 home win against Real Sociedad. He was definitely promoted to the main squad shortly after.
On 29 January 2015 Bailly signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with fellow league team Villarreal CF for a €5.7 million fee, mainly as a replacement to Arsenal F.C.-bound Gabriel Paulista. He made his debut for the Yellow Submarine on 22 February, starting in a 1–0 home win against SD Eibar.
On 29 December 2014, Bailly was included in Hervé Renard's 23-men squad for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations. He made his debut on 11 January 2015 in a friendly against Nigeria, and appeared in all six matches during the competition, as his side were crowned champions.
- As of 21 March 2016
|Espanyol B||2013–14||Segunda División B||20||0||—||20||0|
|2014–15||Segunda División B||1||0||—||1||0|
- As of 29 March 2016
- Dos nous fitxatges per al futbol base (Two new signings for the youth setup); Espanyol's official website, 1 December 2011 (Catalan)
- Eric Bertrand ya tiene los papeles y puede debutar (Eric Bertrand already has the paperwork and can debut); Diario La Grada, 6 October 2012 (Spanish)
- El Espanyol pone a Arrasate contra las cuerdas (Espanyol puts Arraste against the wall); Marca, 5 October 2014 (Spanish)
- Eric, la perla de 20 millones (Eric, the pearl of 20 million); Sport, 13 December 2014 (Spanish)
- El Villarreal CF ficha a Eric Bailly (Villarreal signs Eric Bailly); Villarreal's official website, 29 January 2015 (Spanish)
- El Espanyol traspasa a Eric Bailly al Villarreal por 5,7 millones de euros (Espanyol transfers Eric Bailly to Villarreal for 5.7 million euros); El Mundo Deportivo, 29 January 2015 (Spanish)
- Vietto, con licencia para marcar (Vietto, with a scoring license); Marca, 22 February 2015 (Spanish)
- Slick Sevilla finish off ten-man Villarreal; UEFA.com, 19 March 2015
- 2015 Nations Cup: Kolo Toure in squad for last time; BBC Sport, 29 December 2014
- Kalou Hands Cote D'Ivoire Late Win Over Nigeria; SL10, 11 January 2015
- Eric Bailly profile at Soccerway. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Eric Bailly". National Football Teams. Retrieved 23 February 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>