|File:Eyebrook Reservoir, East Midlands, England-7Feb2007.jpg
Eyebrook Reservoir, Ice on the water in winter
|Location||East Midlands (Leicestershire and Rutland)|
|Coordinates||Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Primary inflows||Eye Brook|
|Primary outflows||Eye Brook|
|Catchment area||201 hectares (500 acres)|
|Basin countries||United Kingdom|
Eyebrook Reservoir (also Eye Brook Reservoir) is a reservoir in the East Midlands of England. It straddles the border of Leicestershire (to the west) and Rutland (to the east). It is located about 6 km (3.7 mi) northwest of Corby in Northamptonshire. Nearby villages are Stoke Dry to the north, and Caldecott to the south and near the dam.
The reservoir was formed by the damming of the Eye Brook. It was built between 1937 and 1940 by Stewarts & Lloyds (supervised by Geoffrey Binnie of Binnie & Partners) to supply water to their Corby steel works, now part of Tata Steel, formerly Corus. During the Second World War it was used in May 1943 as a practice site for the Dambuster raids, standing in for the Möhne Reservoir; a plaque commemorates this.
The site is about 201 hectares (500 acres) and consists of 155.12 ha (383.3 acres) of open water and canals, 33.25 ha (82.2 acres) of neutral grassland and 12.93 ha (32.0 acres) of broadleaved, mixed and yew woodland. It has been a trout fishery since 1942 and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Eyebrook is an ideal place for bird watching.
- The Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) - Alerts, Eye Brook Reservoir
- Muir Wood, Sir Alan (1990). Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society: Geoffrey Morse Binnie (13 November 1908 - 5 April 1989). London: Royal Society. pp. 45–57.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Video: Flypast marks 70 years since Dambuster Raids". Harborough Mail. 2013-05-16. Retrieved 3 June 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Arquati, Richard (16 May 2013). "Air Tattoo to Salute Dambusters". Press releases. Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 3 June 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Operation Chastise". Bomber command. Royal Air Force. Retrieved 3 June 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Natural England - Sites of Specific Scientific Interest
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eyebrook Reservoir.|
|This geographical article about a location in Rutland is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This Leicestershire location article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|