FIFA Player of the Century
FIFA Player of the Century was a one-off award created by FIFA to decide the greatest football player of the 20th century. Diego Maradona and Pele were joint winners of the award. Maradona won the award based on the Internet poll, while Pelé won the award based on votes from FIFA officials, journalists and coaches.
Since 1991, FIFA have had awards for FIFA World Player of the Year and they decided to bring in the new millennium by conducting a public vote to decide the FIFA Player of the Century. This was to be decided by votes on their official website, their official magazine and a grand jury. Maradona won the Internet-based poll by wide margins, garnering 53.6% of the votes against 18.53% for Pelé. Many observers complained that the Internet nature of the poll would have meant a skewed demographic of younger fans who would have seen Maradona play, but not Pelé. As a result, FIFA decided to add a second poll and appointed a "Football Family" committee composed of football journalists, officials and coaches, who voted Pelé the best player of the century with 72.75% of the vote, thus both were joint winners of the award.
Vote specialists (IFFHS)
This award is decided by vote which was conducted with the participation of specialists from around the sports world.
FIFA internet vote
The results of FIFA's internet Poll were as follows:
|6||Marco van Basten||Netherlands||1.57%|
|14||Alfredo Di Stéfano||Argentina||0.68%|
|19||Lev Yashin||Soviet Union||0.36%|
|20||George Best||Northern Ireland||0.32%|
FIFA Magazine and Grand Jury vote
This part of the award was decided by the FIFA Magazine readers vote and the FIFA Grand Jury.
|2||Alfredo Di Stéfano||Argentina||9.8%|
|9||George Best||Northern Ireland||0.3%|
FIFA Centennial Award
FIFA Centennial Player and Football Personality.
- "Maradona or Pele?". CNN Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 13 March 2013
- FIFA Player of the Century. touri.com
- "Pele, Maradona each win FIFA century awards after feud". CNN.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "World - Player of the Century". RSSSF.com. Retrieved 9 April 2013
- http://en03.touri.ytwq. Missing or empty
- "Celebrations mark the opening of FIFA Centennial Congress in Paris, FIFA’s birthplace". FIFA.com. Retrieved 9 April 2013