From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Look up fairness in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Fairness or being fair may refer to:
- Equity (law), a legal principle allowing for the use of discretion and fairness when applying justice
- Social justice, equality and solidarity in a society
- Distributive justice, the perceived appropriateness of the distribution of goods, benefits, and other outcomes in a society, group, or organization (see also: teleology)
- Procedural justice, the perceived appropriateness of rules or procedures used to allocate goods, benefits, and other outcomes (see also: deontology)
- Interactional justice, the perceived appropriateness of interpersonal treatment
- Environmental justice, the perceived appropriateness of the use or treatment of the environment or people via the environment, typically as a function of interpersonal or international relations
- Perceptions associated with the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex and superior temporal sulcus brain regions, in the case of procedural justice, and the anterior cingulate cortex, anterior insula, and dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, in the case of distributive justice
- Fairness, absence of bias in specific realms:
- In American broadcasting, presentation of controversies in accord with the Fairness Doctrine
- In computer science, fairness is a property of unbounded nondeterminism
- In network engineering, access to resources formally rated by a fairness measure
- In game theory, abstract principles for achieving fair division
- In economics, relation among economic factors where price matches fair value that is (not only bias-free but also) rational
- Fairness of human pigmentation, relatively light coloring, especially of skin
- Beauty, the original meaning of the word.
- Being fair, property of motion of a batted baseball that qualifies it as a fair ball
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Fairness.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.