Fame (Irene Cara song)
|File:Fame Single Cover Art.jpg|
|Single by Irene Cara|
|from the album Fame soundtrack|
|Released||June 1980 (US)
May 1982 (UK)
|Format||CD single, 7" single|
|Writer(s)||Michael Gore, Dean Pitchford|
|Irene Cara singles chronology|
"Fame" is a pop song, written by Michael Gore (music) and Dean Pitchford (lyrics) that was released in 1980, and achieved chart success as the theme song to the Fame film and TV series. The song was performed by Irene Cara, who played the role of Coco Hernandez in the original movie. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1980, and the Golden Globe Award for the same. In 2004 it finished at #51 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
The song was later used as the theme song for the Fame television series, which aired from 1982 to 1987. It was also used in other TV shows related to Fame.
"Fame" rose to number four on the Billboard Hot 100 in August 1980. It also reached number one on the Billboard dance chart for one week. The song was rereleased in the United Kingdom in 1982 following the airing of the Fame television series. It hit number one in the UK Singles Chart for three weeks. It has sold 1.05 million copies in the UK as of June 2013. The song also reached number one in Flanders, Ireland, the Netherlands and New Zealand, and number three in Sweden.
Weekly singles charts
- List of number-one dance singles of 1980 (U.S.)
- List of number-one singles in 1982 (New Zealand)
- List of number-one singles from the 1980s (UK)
- List of Dutch Top 40 number-one singles of 1983
- List of million-selling singles in the United Kingdom
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 136. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Lane, Daniel (27 June 2013). "Daft Punk's Get Lucky becomes one of the UK's biggest selling singles of all-time!". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 December 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Irene Cara: Fame". Lescharts. Hung Medien. Retrieved 1 December 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Search the Charts: Irene Cara". The Irish Charts: All There Is to Know. Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved 1 December 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Lescharts.com – Irene Cara – Fame" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Irene Cara search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Irene Cara – Fame". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Irene Cara – Fame". Singles Top 60.
- "Irene Cara: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- William Ruhlmann. "Irene Cara | Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-29.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
"Happy Talk" by Captain Sensible
|UK number-one single
17 July 1982
(for three weeks)
"Come On Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners