The signal station
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Patrick Fauchon|
|Area1||7.22 km2 (2.79 sq mi)|
|• Density||230/km2 (600/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||50184 / 50340|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
The port of Flamanville, in the northern part of the commune, is known as Diélette. During the summer a high-speed passenger ferry is operated from there to Alderney and Guernsey by Manche Iles Express.
|The arms of Flamanville are blazoned :
Per fess 1: Azure, a lion passant and in base 3 barrulets argent; 2: Gules, 3 'maisons' (towers) Or.
Upper part Bazan, lower part Sesmaisons.
Flamanville has been selected for the installation of the first French EPR reactor (which will be Flamanville's third reactor) near the two existing ones. This facility 'could' be operational in 2016, this is following as of October 2011, 4 years of delays beyond its original schedule. Whether or not Flamanville 3, EPR, actually becomes operational is a rather political. Francois Hollande who has won France's Socialist primary elections, putting him in pole position to take on current French President Nicolas Sarkozy in next year's elections, has stated that he would halt construction of France's first EPR. The chances Francois Hollande winning next year's Presidential elections are not insignificant.
The Flamanville location allows for the installation of a fourth reactor, if need be.
Objections to Flamanville EPR
- Additional Analysis and Comments on the Threat of Terrorist Attack to the Proposed 3rd Nuclear Power Plant at Flamanville, France, States of Jersey, R3155-3, August 2006
- Exploratory Review of the EdF Presentation in Support of the Proposal to Construct, Commission and Operate a 3rd Nuclear Power Plant at Flamanville, France, States of Jersey, R3155-1, August 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flamanville (Manche).|
- Official website of the Mairie
- EPR - Flamanville 3 project
- Construction halted at flagship French nuclear reactor over problems in concrete base
- Greenpeace activists block restart of French nuclear reactor construction
- Greenpeace resumes protest actions against Flamanville-3
|This Manche geographical article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|