Frank Barlow (historian)
Frank Barlow CBE FBA FRSL (19 April 1911 – 27 June 2009) was an English historian, known particularly for biographies of medieval figures. His subjects included Edward the Confessor and William Rufus.
Barlow studied at St John's College, Oxford. He was Professor of History at the University of Exeter from 1953 until he retired in 1976 and became Emeritus Professor. He was a Fellow of both the British Academy and the Royal Society of Literature, and was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 1989 Queen's Birthday Honours "for services to the study of English medieval history".
- The Feudal Kingdom of England (1955)
- The Life of King Edward Who Rests at Westminster (1962, 2nd edition 1992), editor and translator
- Edward the Confessor (1970, 2nd edition 1997)
- The English Church 1066–1154 (1979)
- The Norman Conquest and Beyond (1983)
- William Rufus (Berkeley, California, University of California Press, 1983)
- Thomas Becket (1986)
- The Carmen de Hastingae Proelio of Guy Bishop of Amiens (1999), editor and translator
- The Godwins: The Rise and Fall of a Noble Dynasty (2002)
- Writing Medieval Biography, 750–1250: Essays in Honour of Frank Barlow (2006), edited by David Bates, Julia Crick and Sarah Hamilton
- "Frank Barlow (1911–2009)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/101439.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles> (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- The University of Exeter - Calendar 2007/2008 - Emeritus Professors January 2008/https://web.archive.org/web/20080102184426/http://www.admin.exeter.ac.uk/calendar/live/council/emeritus.htm Archived January 2, 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- RSL Fellows July 2007/https://web.archive.org/web/20070707111904/http://www.rslit.org/fellows.htm Archived July 7, 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- The London Gazette: . 16 June 1989.
- Works by or about Frank Barlow in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Who's who: Frank Barlow
- Obituary, The Guardian, printed 24 July 2009
- Obituary, The Daily Telegraph, printed 17 August 2009