Operations (military staff)
Military operations is a concept and application of military science that involves planning the operations for the projected maneuvering forces' provisions, services, training, and administrative functions—to allow them to commence, insert, then egress from combat. The operations staff plays a major role in the projection of military forces in any wide spectrum of conflict; terrestrial, aerial, or naval warfare needed to achieve operational objectives in a theater of war.
The general staff of military operations deals with the planning, process, collection, and analyzing of information. Its major function is responsible in the allocating of resources and determining time requirements. It is combined with other military staff sections to achieve its primary principles in employment of military forces and materiel to meet specific missions.
The operations staff have distinct cyclic process features that are essential for military operations to progress:
- Conception through identification of specific goals or objectives
- Intelligence gathering and analysis to identify enemy capability to resist
- Planning of military force and its use
- Administration of mobilization, equipping, training and staging of forces
- Commencement of the operation, and achieving of initial tactical mission objectives
- Defeating the larger enemy forces in their operational depth
- Ending the operation whether the strategic goals have been achieved or not
The general staff of operations designation is "3" to its corresponding section—e.g. J-3 (Joint (Multi-Service) Military Operations), G-3 (Army), S-3 (Marine Corps), N-3 (Navy), and A-3 (Air Force).ar:أركان عسكرية bg:Генерален щаб de:Stabsoffizier de:Generalstab es:Estado Mayor eo:Stabo (armeo) fr:État-major it:Stato Maggiore he:מטה כללי lb:État-major lt:Generalinis štabas nl:Generale Staf nl:Sectie 1 ja:参謀本部 no:Generalstab no:Stabsoffiser pl:Sztab pt:Estado-Maior ru:Генеральный штаб sl:Generalštab fi:Esikunta sv:Generalstab uk:Генеральний штаб zh:总参谋部