Gasper Township, Preble County, Ohio
|Gasper Township, Preble County, Ohio|
|Location of Gasper Township in Preble County
Location of Gasper Township in Preble County
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||23.4 sq mi (60.6 km2)|
|• Land||22.9 sq mi (59.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,079 ft (329 m)|
|• Density||141.0/sq mi (54.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086846|
Located in the south central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Washington Township - north
- Lanier Township - east
- Gratis Township - southeast corner
- Somers Township - south
- Israel Township - southwest corner
- Dixon Township - west
No municipalities are located in Gasper Township.
Name and history
It is the only Gasper Township statewide. It was named after John Gasper Potterf (or Batdorf) (1758-1836), A Pennsylvanian of German descent who became an early and wealthy settler of Preble County. Gasper Township was originally part of Washington Township until Potterf convinced the Board of Commissioners to dissever the twenty-four sections of the southern part of Washington Township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Preble County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Service Record, Department of the Interior, June 1, 1905. Verified by National No. 260348 Vol---P---3--525; Vol---P---O.W. & N. Division J.R.W.---17024--in Rev. War Dept. of Interior Bureau of Pensions Verified by Nat. No. 93767 Verified by Nat. No. 242248 Eaton, O. (Preble Co.) Probate Court records of Gasper Potterf (copied.) Family & National No. 242248 Cited from the history of Preble Co. page 280 by R.H. Schlumbohm
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.