General Order No. 1
It was issued by the U.S. General Douglas MacArthur to the representative of the Empire of Japan following the surrender of Japan, and then issued by Japanese Imperial General Headquarters to the forces of the Empire of Japan on 2 September 1945. It instructed Japanese forces to surrender to designated Allied commanders, reveal all current military deployments, and preserve military equipment for later disarmament.
It also had the effect of leading to the eventual division of Korea at the 38th Parallel in that Japanese forces surrendered to the Soviet commander and to the American commander north and south of the 38th parallel respectively.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
Excerpt of the General Order No. 1 for the Surrender of Japan
a. The senior Japanese commanders and all ground, sea, air and auxiliary forces within China (excluding Manchuria), Formosa and French Indo-China north of 16° north latitude shall surrender to Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek.
b. The senior Japanese commanders and all ground, sea, air and auxiliary forces within Manchuria, Korea north of 38° north latitude and Karafuto shall surrender to the Commander in Chief of Soviet Forces in the Far East.
c. The senior Japanese commanders and all ground, sea, air and auxiliary forces within the Andamans, Nicobars, Burma, Thailand, French Indo-China south of 16° north latitude, Malaya, Borneo, Netherlands Indies, New Guinea, Bismarcks and the Solomons, shall surrender to the Supreme Allied Commander, Southeast Asia Command.
d. The senior Japanese commanders and all ground, sea, air and auxiliary forces in the Japanese Mandated Islands, Ryukyus, Bonins, and other Pacific Islands shall surrender to the Commander in Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet.
e. The Imperial General Headquarters, its senior commanders, and all ground, sea, air and auxiliary forces in the main islands of Japan, minor islands adjacent thereto, Korea south of 38° north latitude, and the Philippines shall surrender to the Commander in Chief, U. S. Army Forces in the Pacific.
- Cairo Declaration (27 November 1943)
- Potsdam Declaration (26 July 1945)
- Gwangbokjeol (15 August 1945)
- Japanese Instrument of Surrender (2 September 1945)
- Retrocession Day (25 October 1945)
- Treaty of San Francisco (8 September 1951)
- Joint Chiefs of Staff (August 17, 1945). General Order No. 1. Wikisource. "General order No.1 (Enclosure), as approved by the President for issue by the Japanese Imperial General Headquarters by direction of the Emperor, is circulated for information."
- "Tokyo Bay: The Formal Surrender of the Empire of Japan on Board USS Missouri, 2 September 1945". www.history.navy.mil.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- United States Department of State (1945). "Foreign relations of the United States : diplomatic papers, 1945. The British Commonwealth, the Far East". Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS). United States Government Printing Office. pp. 658–9.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers General Order No. One at TaiwanAdvice.com