George Stewardson Brady
George Stewardson Brady (18 April 1832 – 25 December 1921) was a professor of natural history at the Hancock Museum in Newcastle-upon-Tyne who did important volumes on Copepoda and Ostracoda, including those from the Challenger expedition.
Family and upbringing
He was the eldest son of Henry Brady, Surgeon of Gateshead, and his wife Hannah Bowman of Derbyshire. He married Ellen Wright in 1859.
He and his younger brother Henry Bowman Brady were both educated at the Friends' School, Ackworth and at Bootham school, York, where they were schoolfellows of John Gilbert Baker and of Joseph Rowntree the younger, the founder of the famous cocoa business, John Rowntree, his brother, Henry Seebohm Rowntree, who became famous as an ethnologist,
Brady went to the University of Durham College of Medicine. He was awarded LSA and MD (1876) by St Andrews. He practised medicine in Gateshead (1857–1906) and was Professor of Natural History, Armstrong College, Newcastle (1875–1906).
- the 3-volume "A Monograph of the Free and Semi-parasitic Copepoda of the British Isles" for the Ray Society in 1880, but also publishing on the Challenger copepods and collections from different national expeditions; cooperator of Norman (q.v.);
- worked mainly on "entomostracans" and had many species named after him [Bradya Boeck, 1872, Bradyidius Giesbrecht, 1897, Bradycalanus A. Scott, 1909, Bradyetes Farran, 1905, Bradycinetus Sars, 1866, Bradycypris G.O. Sars, 1924, Bradypontius Giesbrecht, 1895, Bathycalanus bradyi (Wolfenden, 1905), Undinopsis bradyi G.O. Sars, 1884, Pareuchaeta bradyi (With, 1915), Scolecithrix bradyi Giesbrecht, 1888, Centropages bradyi Wheeler, 1899, Cervinia bradyi Brady, 1878 ex Norman MS, Peltobradya Médioni & Soyer, 1967, Neobradya T. Scott, 1892, Antarcticobradya Huys, 1987, Phyllopodopsyllus bradyi (T. Scott, 1892), Sarsicytheridea bradii (Norman, 1865), Bythocythere bradyi G.O. Sars, 1926, Sclerochilus bradyi Rudjakov, 1962, Paradoxostoma bradyi G.O. Sars, 1928, Diastylis bradyi Norman, 1879, Ilyocypris bradyi G.O. Sars, 1890, Coronida bradyi (A. Milne-Edwards, 1869), Bradyidius bradyi (G.O. Sars, 1884), Cycloleberis bradyi ].
- Hans G. Hanssen. "George Stewardson Brady". Biographical Etymology of Marine Organism Names. Göteborgs Universitet.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Library and Archive Catalogue". Royal Society. Retrieved 18 December 2010.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Data related to George Stewardson Brady at Wikispecies
|This article about a zoologist is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|