3 January 1969|
|Height||166 cm (5 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||63 kg (139 lb)|
Gerda Weissensteiner (born 3 January 1969 in Bolzano, South Tyrol) is an Italian luger and bobsleigh pilot who has competed from the late 1980s to 2006. Competing in six Winter Olympics, she won the gold medal in the women's singles luge event at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, and together with Jennifer Isacco she won the bronze in Turin in the two-woman bobsleigh at the 2006 Winter Olympics.
Weissensteiner won eleven medals at the FIL World Luge Championships, including two gold (Women's singles: 1993, Mixed team: 1989), three silvers (Women's singles: 1989, Mixed team: 1990, 1995), and six bronzes (Women's singles: 1995, 1996; Mixed team: 1991, 1993, 1996, 1997).
She was also won four medals at the FIL European Luge Championships with two gold (Mixed team and Women's singles: both in 1994), one silver (Women's singles: 1990), and one bronze (Mixed team: 1988).
Weissensteiner switched to bobsleigh in 2001. She finished seventh in the 2-woman bobsleigh (with the former biker Antonella Bellutti, gold medalist in cycling) at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Her best finish in the Bobsleigh World Cup championship was third twice in the two-woman event. (2002-3, 2003-4 (tied with Germany's Susi Erdmann)). She finished sixth in the 2-woman bobsleigh event at the 2005 FIBT World Championships in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The following year, Weissensteiner joined Erdmann as being one of only two people to win a medal in both bobsleigh and luge at the Winter Olympics.
She retired from all competition after the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin.
- List of athletes with the most appearances at Olympic Games
- List of athletes with Olympic medals in different disciplines
- Italian sportswomen multiple medalists at Olympics and World Championships
- 1988 luge women's singles results
- 1992 luge women's singles results
- 1998 luge women's singles results
- 2002 bobsleigh two-woman results
- Bobsleigh two-woman Olympic medalists since 2002
- Gerda Weissensteiner at the International Bobsleigh & Skeleton Federation
- Fuzilogik Sports - Winter Olympic results - Women's luge
- Hickoksports.com results on Olympic champions in luge and skelton.
- Hickok sports information on World champions in luge and skeleton.
- Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) profile (Italian)
- List of European luge champions (German)
- List of two-woman bobsleigh World Cup champions since 1995
- List of women's singles luge World Cup champions since 1978.
- SportQuick.com information on World champions in luge (French)
- Lua error in Module:SportsReference at line 5: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
| Flag bearer for Italy