Gerry Davis (umpire)
|12 – Gerry Davis|
Davis in 2011
February 22, 1953 |
St. Louis, Missouri
|MLB debut||June 9, 1982|
|Career highlights and awards|
Gerald Sidney Davis (born February 22, 1953) is an umpire in Major League Baseball. Having worked in the National League from 1982 to 1999, he became a member of the unified umpiring staff for Major League Baseball in 2000. He has been a crew chief since 1999. He has umpired five World Series, nine League Championship Series and eleven League Division Series. He has also worked in the All-Star Game four times. Davis has worn uniform number 12 throughout his career. As of the start of the 2015 season, Davis is MLB's second-most senior umpire (after Joe West).
He has officiated in 21 postseasons, including the World Series in 1996, 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2012; the League Championship Series in 1990, 1992, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2010, 2013, and 2014; the Division Series in 1996, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2015; and the Wild Card Game in 2013 and 2014. He also umpired the All-Star Game in 1989, 1997, 2002 and 2012; he called balls and strikes on the last two occasions.
In the 2014 season, Davis's crew was Phil Cuzzi, Brian Knight, and a AAA Fill In Umpire, until Quinn Wolcott was officially hired as a full-time umpire in July 2014 due to the retirement of Gary Darling. In 2015 his crew includes Phil Cuzzi, Tony Randazzo and Will Little.
Davis was reprimanded by Major League Baseball on September 1, 2014 for making 'crybaby' faces at Oakland A's players. The league statement said, "We expect our Umpires to remain professional on the field at all times."
Davis was the home plate umpire for the last game played at Shea Stadium on September 28, 2008.
With his assignment to the 2012 World Series, Davis set an officiating record for most postseason games umpired in Major League history with 115 and since then this mark has moved forward to 128 games.
Davis owns a company, Gerry Davis Sports, which specializes in umpiring equipment and clothing. Gerry Davis Sports sells specially designed leg guards which give a small area at the top for the hands to rest, consistent with Davis's unique umpiring stance. (When umpiring behind the plate, Davis bends down only about three-quarters as far as the conventional stance. He leans his back forward slightly and grabs the top of his leg guards with his extended arms.) These leg guards also eschew the normal straps with metal hooks, in favor of straps with plugs that hook into little notches.
- "TSN Umpire Card: Gerald Davis". Retrieved July 22, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Gerry Davis Retrosheet.org. Retrieved 3 July 2012
- Gerry Davis named home plate ump ESPN.com. Retrieved 3 July 2012
- "Umpire Gary Darling retires after 28 years". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 4, 2014. Retrieved July 6, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "MLB Roster: 2012 World Series Umpires". Close Call Sports. October 23, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Michael Pineda ejected from Yankees-Red Sox game after foreign substance discovered". Fox News. Associated Press. April 23, 2014. Retrieved June 14, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>